Is there any point to this forum any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The GD forum was never a perfect place but there used to be some interesting threads and conversations across a fairly wide range of subjects. Some were controversial, some went to epic proportions and certainly the odd insult was offered, but on the whole it was kept reasonably civil. All that has now gone. Every thread follows the same theme and ends up with the same half a dozen people throwing the same insults at each other. It never used to be like that so why does it need to be now? Here’s my thoughts;

Obsessive posting of anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim, anti-everything-that-doesn’t-look-like-you propaganda isn’t particularly interesting or informative. It’s not that I’m unconcerned about immigration - In fact I am very much concerned about it - but it has to be kept in perspective. Immigrants have been coming to this Country for hundreds of years and we simply couldn’t survive (as a Country) without them. I think you misunderstand what ‘control of immigration’ means. An important subject that needs to be discussed sensibly can’t be discussed at all under constant bombardment of aggressive, across the board negativity about everything immigrant. It doesn’t add anything to the debate, it destroys it, reduces it to such a ridiculous base level that any discussion becomes pointless.

On the other hand, obsessiveness at the opposite end of the scale is equally damaging. Just look what it has achieved in this small forum. Inappropriate comments in the past were often ignored but very often challenged. I myself had a particular run in with Joe-you-know-who over his holocaust theories. In general though, overt racism was fairly low and mostly benign – certainly not the central theme of almost every thread. But that’s gone. What we have now are more extreme views expressed far more readily and far more aggressively. No debate, no discussion, just extreme bile, poison and abuse. Most of the people that brought reason to the GD forum have gone.

I’d like to debate immigration control. I’d like to debate the influence of certain minority groups who use the Islamic religion as an excuse to perpetrate hatred and crime. I’d like to debate the contribution of immigrants to the future of the UK. I’d like to debate Calais. But I can’t, because I know where it will go.

Sponsored Links
Well said, we have Racist Nutters and Anti Racist Nutters almost in equal numbers, they have destroyed GD.

If you and I were to debate Immigration, Calais or Isis, the Nutters would infest the thread and destroy any meaningful discussion.

Do you remember the Aircraft on an endless conveyor belt, just one of many interesting physics topics, that ran for hundreds of replies.

Sponsored Links
You can have a debate amongst your selves or whomever ? bung all the racist nutters & anti racist nutters on ignore & have your debate :idea:

why does it need every one involved ? If u consider that there are racist nutters & anti racist nutters why would want to listen to there opinions & views.

Fact is the accusation of racism has stifled debate on the subject of immigration in this country for far to long

mention any control on immigration it & you will be accused of being a racist.

mention the fact that human rights or womans rights in most (all?) Islamic countries is a total disgrace & u are a racist ect ect

Than u get that fruit cake shutpa who is going to report posts to the police

Jeez :LOL:

Last edited:
why does it need every one involved ? If u consider that there are racist nutters & anti racist nutters why would want to listen to there opinions & views.

Fact is the accusation of racism has stifled debate on the subject of immigration in this country for far to long

mention any control on immigration it & you will be accused of being a racist.

mention the fact that human rights or womans rights in most (all?) Islamic countries is a total disgrace & u are a racist ect ect

Than u get that fruit cake shutpa who is going to report posts to the police

Jeez :LOL:

Unfortunately that's not realistic.
I could easily ignore about 6 posters at the moment, but as regards the rest, it would take months, if not years for me to try and judge every ones character,
The judgements I make, will also be skewed by my own judgement, good and bad.

No, I think Moderation on here should be much more severe, until the extremists from both sides are bored by their posts being removed,
and move on.

Only then will GD become enjoyable to visit, as it once was.

The GD forum was never a perfect place but there used to be some interesting threads and conversations across a fairly wide range of subjects. Some were controversial, some went to epic proportions and certainly the odd insult was offered, but on the whole it was kept reasonably civil. All that has now gone. Every thread follows the same theme and ends up with the same half a dozen people throwing the same insults at each other. It never used to be like that so why does it need to be now? Here’s my thoughts;

Obsessive posting of anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim, anti-everything-that-doesn’t-look-like-you propaganda isn’t particularly interesting or informative. It’s not that I’m unconcerned about immigration - In fact I am very much concerned about it - but it has to be kept in perspective. Immigrants have been coming to this Country for hundreds of years and we simply couldn’t survive (as a Country) without them. I think you misunderstand what ‘control of immigration’ means. An important subject that needs to be discussed sensibly can’t be discussed at all under constant bombardment of aggressive, across the board negativity about everything immigrant. It doesn’t add anything to the debate, it destroys it, reduces it to such a ridiculous base level that any discussion becomes pointless.

On the other hand, obsessiveness at the opposite end of the scale is equally damaging. Just look what it has achieved in this small forum. Inappropriate comments in the past were often ignored but very often challenged. I myself had a particular run in with Joe-you-know-who over his holocaust theories. In general though, overt racism was fairly low and mostly benign – certainly not the central theme of almost every thread. But that’s gone. What we have now are more extreme views expressed far more readily and far more aggressively. No debate, no discussion, just extreme bile, poison and abuse. Most of the people that brought reason to the GD forum have gone.

I’d like to debate immigration control. I’d like to debate the influence of certain minority groups who use the Islamic religion as an excuse to perpetrate hatred and crime. I’d like to debate the contribution of immigrants to the future of the UK. I’d like to debate Calais. But I can’t, because I know where it will go.

Interesting post.

Why did you sit idly by and let it happen without voicing your concerns earlier?

I assume I am one of your extremists? But I use only words against and to highlight the extremist who use deadly force. Notice any difference?

No, I think Moderation on here should be much more severe, until the extremists from both sides are bored by their posts being removed,
and move on.

Only then will GD become enjoyable to visit, as it once was.

Maybe you could start your own forum and only allow posts you like and agree with? Otherwise you may be continually upset by points of view you disagree with.

From this forum started ( probably 10 or 15 years ago) a lot of things have changed.
Most notably on the news almost every night their will be a slot dedicated to islamic wars and terrorism. Its what the real world is giving us, so obviously it will spill over unto here with opinions being divided.

One option is to delete everything that's not related to diy.
The FOG forum deletes everything that's not related to wood and festools.

From this forum started ( probably 10 or 15 years ago) a lot of things have changed.
Most notably on the news every night their will be a slot dedicated to islamic wars and terrorism. Its what the real world is giving us, so obviously it will spill over unto here with opinions being divided.

One option is to delete everything that's not related to diy.
The FOG forum deletes everything that's not related to wood and festools.

General Discussion
Tired after all that DIY? Discuss or debate topical issues here.

Clue!

If he mentions them he will instantly be a racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back