Is there anything wrong with this work - with pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

To cut a long story short I am finishing off (well probably doing most of the work) on my refurbishment of my ensuite. Due to health problems the plumber will not being coming back (had a stroke a while ago and is suffering loss of knowlodge of his trade - really sad really). Anyway I started today and removed the floor board and false wall and the pipes are as follows in the picture.

The horizontal pipes are the central heating feed/return pipes. Other pipes are the hot and cold feed and the toilet cistern feed.

Does anything stand out to be noticeably wrong?

Will be on here quiet alot over the next few weeks seeking advice/help!!! :)

Thanks

P1000607.jpg

Sponsored Links
what apart from the big chucks out of the joists for the wastes ?

The big notch is for the basin waste. Thankfully the holes he has done for the shower waste are within regulations (drilled in the centre and not bigger that a quarter of the joist depth). I am going to be moving whole pipes forward about 4-5 inches so I will try and brace that big notch with some wood. Apart from the notch does everything else look ok?

i would of been inclinded to use solder fittings than compression fittings.
and used a bender on the cross over pipes rather than lay then across the others

Sponsored Links
the one thing i wouldnt like, as seco services has picked up, is that the heating pipes are too near to the cold service. theres mention about legionella and so on, were cold services should be protected from heat sources.

the one thing i wouldnt like, as seco services has picked up, is that the heating pipes are too near to the cold service. theres mention about legionella and so on, were cold services should be protected from heat sources.

I wasn't aware of that. I was going to lay something between those touching pipes anyway (cardboard or something) to keep the pipes apart to stop them banging together.

Rip the lot out and start again...your plumber is a cowboy. :rolleyes: Probably had a heart attack from the stress of his previous customers complaints.

Chuck out the bodged pushfit and compression fittings and use solvent weld waste fittings (and prepare them properly with the cleaning fluid).

Re-do the copper pipework so that it's suitably supported and insulated as necessary ie so thay don't bang/resonate with the water flow and the cold potable water isn't heated by the hot pipework.

The aluminium safety tag must not contact the copper pipe.

Chuck out the flexible pan connector...it's a sure sign of **** poor planning. Use proper purpose designed fittings not a diy effort.

As for fitting the waste pipe through the center of the joists will the gradient be correct? Will there be sufficient room for thermal expansion etc.

i would of been inclinded to use solder fittings than compression fittings.
and used a bender on the cross over pipes rather than lay then across the others

There is nothing actually wrong with compression fittings is there? Is it just old school teachings that soldered fittings are better?

I am going to have to cut the hold/cold feed in order to bring the whole lot forward several inches as I building the false wall out a bit.

So, if I just put some cardboard or something between the hot/cold feeds and the central heating feed/return pipes all is ok?

its up to you but to me its to messy to many odd bits of pipe soldered together, to many chances of a leak, no clips, hot pipe laying on waste fittings, and compression waste fittings under floor etc

Hate to start a round robin but.....solvent weld.......how do you clear blockages?? Push fit is better for demounting......even if you add access points in ABS the blockage ALWAYS is just outta reach!! :LOL:

if installed right it shouldn't block.
as for clearing blockages my 60ft drainage auger never fails on clearing blocked waste pipes.
the rubbers in compression perish over time.
no good having a demountable fitting if its under a tiled floor.

......how do you clear blockages?? Push fit is better for demounting......

Correctly installed waste pipe doesn't block ie correct lenghts/diameter/gradient/support/swept bends etc. Every blockage I encounter is always due to rubbish installaton.

Push fit can come apart (thermal expansion etc) unless its well supported and the joints often leak after several years as the O rings degrade. Compression should only be used to couple mis-matched pipe together.

Its not the best job in the world but I have seen a lot worse, one thing to mention though, is that if the pan connector in your pic is any indication of the finished position of the wc pan, then you want to be careful when you screw the pan down, ie that your screws dont hit those pipes.

I'm probably going to get shot down in a shower of the dirty stuff for saying this but I am contemplating using plastic pipe and pushfit fittings to re-do the pipe.

The compression joint on the lower left of the picture is actually leaking. Not enough to drip but when I wipe my finger underneath it is wet. I have tried to nip up both sides but it is still leaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back