Is this a budget cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To install oven and hob supply (10~11 metres + MCV? i'm not sure.)
£150 (labour £60, materials £90)

because he charges £ 45 (labour £25, materials £20) for a socket for hood

Sponsored Links
Not sure what your question is, really. The price for any job will depend on a number of factors, amongst which are: material costs, labour and to some extent, what the market will bear. Material costs are usually predictable, but the time taken depends on things like ease of access, existing electrical infrastructure, whether or not the kids/pets get in the way, how much the client hangs around asking daft questions or talking about the footie. Also, a two-hour job needs to pay half a day's profit by the time you factor in time for unforeseen difficulties, clearing up, travel, etc.

It's almost impossible to judge whether your quotes are 'fair' without seeing the job, but neither quote sounds unreasonable.

Sponsored Links
Putting in another socket for a hood is relatively simple compared to putting in a whole new circuit for a cooker (which is what he is doing).

Assuming 10mm cable, at £1.60 a metre. The 10 metre run will probably be nearer 20 once the routing is taken into account. Now the MCB should be no more than £10, assuming that there is room for a new one in your consumer unit. If you have an old fuse box or a full CU, or it isn't up to the strain, then he would need to do some extra work.

I would say £150 sounds reasonable to me. I would pay that much for the job, if I were paying to have it done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back