Is this a good quote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a quote yesterday for some work consisting of:

1. Fitting a new 10 way consumer unit.

2. fitting new earth spike and upgrading earthing points.

3. New shower circuit (Bathroom to CU approx 10 metres) with 10mm cable.

4. Fitting a shaver socket in bathroom.

5. Changing a pull cord for a switch outside the bathroom.

I was quoted £700 does this sound reasonable? [/list]

Sponsored Links
Has the spark done a PIR, if not then how do you know he won't find a lot of problems which could end up costing you a fortune?

Sponsored Links
It looks a fair quote to me.
But you must have a PIR done first, a consumer unit change is like having a vital organ transplanted. The body must accept the vital organ or you will encounter troubles.
Also make sure notification and certification are in with the quote!

If the PIR throws up any problems I assume you would have them sorted and go ahead anyway, so why bother, you will be getting one at the end of the swap anyway

Had a switch outside mine, near the fan isolator. Looks neater.
Cleaner ceiling.

If the PIR throws up any problems I assume you would have them sorted and go ahead anyway, so why bother, you will be getting one at the end of the swap anyway
So the customer and the installer knows what will need to be done and no surprises when the final bill escalates from £700 to £1150+++++++++++

Had a switch outside mine, near the fan isolator. Looks neater.
Cleaner ceiling.

Fair enough... I've literally just changed my bathroom & downstairs toilets to pull cords. I often leave a bathroom with slightly wet hands (wiping them on your jeans only removes so much water) and pulling a cord 5 feet away from the switch seems safer

OOPS Isolator and Shower switch at high level.
Light switch outside also.
Slightly damp hands are not an issue.

You do realise that unless your bathroom is unfeasibly small you could have had a wall switch inside the room?

Its quite large actually.
And the light switch outside made more sense.
Tiled wall to ceiling, just looks better.

Also where it is on the outside it would have been Zone 1 on the inside.
Not that it matters.
Always liked the switches outside.

Have to agree with alarm looks better on the outside, pullcords are just dated now and look naff.

I didnt know you could have a switch inside a bathroom.

So the customer and the installer knows what will need to be done and no surprises when the final bill escalates from £700 to £1150+++++++++++

Ok fair enough, but if the PIR picks up say a broken ring how do you know what is involved in rectifying it

I carried out a PIR recently and found bare connectors on a light fitting, in the same room were 20 other fittings of the same type, when did the remedials the other fittings were ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back