1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this asbestos?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Tetrarch, 8 Apr 2021 at 9:15 AM.

  1. Tetrarch

    Tetrarch

    Joined:
    11 Dec 2019
    Messages:
    29
    Thanks Received:
    0
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    I'm intending to remove a chimney (installation date unknown). I know that the inner chinmney is asbestos cement tubes and that the outer shell of the chimney is a rusty steel. However,, the insullation between the two walls is not something that I feel able to identify. It looks like fibre glass-type insulation but I am concerned that it may be something much more toxic.

    Any advice would be most welcome

    Regards

    Tet

    I attach some pictures

    upload_2021-4-8_9-11-54.png

    upload_2021-4-8_9-12-31.png

    upload_2021-4-8_9-13-2.png

    upload_2021-4-8_9-13-55.png
     
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Madrab

    Madrab

    Joined:
    4 Oct 2012
    Messages:
    7,708
    Thanks Received:
    2,156
    Location:
    East Renfrewshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    If the inner flue is asbestos cement then there's every chance that the insulation is asbestos too and as it's fibre, it's the worst kind.

    It's kinda shutting the door after the horse has bolted but do not touch or unsettle it without proper PPE.

    It needs tested before anyone touches it again.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. ianmcd

    ianmcd

    Joined:
    15 Aug 2010
    Messages:
    20,501
    Thanks Received:
    7,978
    Location:
    Lanarkshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    definately looks like asbestos, dont go near it again and get a Pro in
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Tetrarch

    Tetrarch

    Joined:
    11 Dec 2019
    Messages:
    29
    Thanks Received:
    0
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Update : I have had two quotes from local asbestos removal companies. One for 500 quid + VAT,, the other for 600 + VAT.

    Both have said that the fibrous insulation is NOT asbestos.

    I am now considering self-removal with extreme PPE - no decision made yet, though

    Regards

    Tet
     
  6. Madrab

    Madrab

    Joined:
    4 Oct 2012
    Messages:
    7,708
    Thanks Received:
    2,156
    Location:
    East Renfrewshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Good stuff, take it they have tested it, I'd never take the chance to presume it isn't. Asbestos can be removed DIY if it meets certain criteria so suggest a check to see if the work falls under the notifiable non licensed category or not. As mentioned use the correct PPE, follow the correct procedure to remove (not so bad as you aren't inside), use the correct handling and bagging procedures and dispose of at a properly licensed site.
     
  7. ianmcd

    ianmcd

    Joined:
    15 Aug 2010
    Messages:
    20,501
    Thanks Received:
    7,978
    Location:
    Lanarkshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    How do they know it is non -asbestos ? do you have the lab report, please dont mess around with this stuff, it is the worst thing you can do , I hate to say it but if you have a quote of £500 from a licenced company to remove it and dispose of it legally, then that is *******s, but it is only you and your families and your neighbours lives that you are messing with?
    Do not feck about with this

    https://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/videos/cmorganshort.htm
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sponsored Links
  9. ianmcd

    ianmcd

    Joined:
    15 Aug 2010
    Messages:
    20,501
    Thanks Received:
    7,978
    Location:
    Lanarkshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Sadly I have add to this post, I worked beside a great guy who sadly died of Asbestosis, a horrible way to go , you dont die immediately , can take up to 30 years , before the spores show, please anyone reading this post , do not take asbestos mildly, if in doubt get it checked , do not mess around with this , it WILL kill you
     
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Madrab

    Madrab

    Joined:
    4 Oct 2012
    Messages:
    7,708
    Thanks Received:
    2,156
    Location:
    East Renfrewshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    I have to add gravitas to this, my grandfather died of asbestosis too, not nice. As @ianmcd mentions is a long agonising condition without a cure so I'd never take the risk that someone 'says' it's ok.

    It doesn't cost much to have a material tested for asbestos, better safe than sorry.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. ianmcd

    ianmcd

    Joined:
    15 Aug 2010
    Messages:
    20,501
    Thanks Received:
    7,978
    Location:
    Lanarkshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you @Madrab , take it he was in the ship building industry ? my old man was a miner and died of it , horrible way to go , wouldnt wish it on any one , dont feck about with asbestos
     
  12. Madrab

    Madrab

    Joined:
    4 Oct 2012
    Messages:
    7,708
    Thanks Received:
    2,156
    Location:
    East Renfrewshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Actually no @ianmcd, he was a master plumber for GCC, as such he would oversee/gaffer the stripping out and refitting of all the old Glasgow council buildings, the boiler rooms, pipework etc (schools/printworks/council building etc).

    As such he was then exposed to all the dust and debris that was created when pulling out all the old asbestos pipe cladding and insulation, all before the HSE and understanding of how dangerous it all was.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Notch7

    Notch7

    Joined:
    15 Sep 2017
    Messages:
    22,455
    Thanks Received:
    1,575
    Location:
    S. Uplands
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    it could be amosite, no way of knowing without testing

    you can get a kit -it costs about £25 -they send you a little bag which you collect a sample in and return it

    heres a pic of amosite:
    [​IMG]
     
  14. ianmcd

    ianmcd

    Joined:
    15 Aug 2010
    Messages:
    20,501
    Thanks Received:
    7,978
    Location:
    Lanarkshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    If only we knew then how bad this stuff was, as an apprentice I used to line cupboards with it for warm air units to be fitted with asbestos flues, horrible stuff , not about money , it is about stoping any more victims
     
Loading...

Share This Page