Is this asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm intending to remove a chimney (installation date unknown). I know that the inner chinmney is asbestos cement tubes and that the outer shell of the chimney is a rusty steel. However,, the insullation between the two walls is not something that I feel able to identify. It looks like fibre glass-type insulation but I am concerned that it may be something much more toxic.

Any advice would be most welcome

Regards

Tet

I attach some pictures

upload_2021-4-8_9-11-54.png

upload_2021-4-8_9-12-31.png

upload_2021-4-8_9-13-2.png

upload_2021-4-8_9-13-55.png

Sponsored Links
If the inner flue is asbestos cement then there's every chance that the insulation is asbestos too and as it's fibre, it's the worst kind.

It's kinda shutting the door after the horse has bolted but do not touch or unsettle it without proper PPE.

It needs tested before anyone touches it again.

Update : I have had two quotes from local asbestos removal companies. One for 500 quid + VAT,, the other for 600 + VAT.

Both have said that the fibrous insulation is NOT asbestos.

I am now considering self-removal with extreme PPE - no decision made yet, though

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
Both have said that the fibrous insulation is NOT asbestos

Good stuff, take it they have tested it, I'd never take the chance to presume it isn't. Asbestos can be removed DIY if it meets certain criteria so suggest a check to see if the work falls under the notifiable non licensed category or not. As mentioned use the correct PPE, follow the correct procedure to remove (not so bad as you aren't inside), use the correct handling and bagging procedures and dispose of at a properly licensed site.

How do they know it is non -asbestos ? do you have the lab report, please dont mess around with this stuff, it is the worst thing you can do , I hate to say it but if you have a quote of £500 from a licenced company to remove it and dispose of it legally, then that is *******s, but it is only you and your families and your neighbours lives that you are messing with?
Do not feck about with this

https://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/videos/cmorganshort.htm

Sadly I have add to this post, I worked beside a great guy who sadly died of Asbestosis, a horrible way to go , you dont die immediately , can take up to 30 years , before the spores show, please anyone reading this post , do not take asbestos mildly, if in doubt get it checked , do not mess around with this , it WILL kill you

I have to add gravitas to this, my grandfather died of asbestosis too, not nice. As @ianmcd mentions is a long agonising condition without a cure so I'd never take the risk that someone 'says' it's ok.

It doesn't cost much to have a material tested for asbestos, better safe than sorry.

Thank you @Madrab , take it he was in the ship building industry ? my old man was a miner and died of it , horrible way to go , wouldnt wish it on any one , dont feck about with asbestos

Actually no @ianmcd, he was a master plumber for GCC, as such he would oversee/gaffer the stripping out and refitting of all the old Glasgow council buildings, the boiler rooms, pipework etc (schools/printworks/council building etc).

As such he was then exposed to all the dust and debris that was created when pulling out all the old asbestos pipe cladding and insulation, all before the HSE and understanding of how dangerous it all was.

I'm intending to remove a chimney (installation date unknown). I know that the inner chinmney is asbestos cement tubes and that the outer shell of the chimney is a rusty steel. However,, the insullation between the two walls is not something that I feel able to identify. It looks like fibre glass-type insulation but I am concerned that it may be something much more toxic.

Any advice would be most welcome

Regards

Tet

I attach some pictures

View attachment 229732

View attachment 229733

View attachment 229734

View attachment 229735

it could be amosite, no way of knowing without testing

you can get a kit -it costs about £25 -they send you a little bag which you collect a sample in and return it

heres a pic of amosite:
LooseAsbestosInsulation.jpg

Actually no @ianmcd, he was a master plumber for GCC, as such he would oversee/gaffer the stripping out and refitting of all the old Glasgow council buildings, the boiler rooms, pipework etc (schools/printworks/council building etc).

As such he was then exposed to all the dust and debris that was created when pulling out all the old asbestos pipe cladding and insulation, all before the HSE and understanding of how dangerous it all was.
If only we knew then how bad this stuff was, as an apprentice I used to line cupboards with it for warm air units to be fitted with asbestos flues, horrible stuff , not about money , it is about stoping any more victims

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back