Is this dangerous? Connector blocks below sink.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
P_20181104_102416.jpg
A contractor removed a fuse box from the bathroom and put a CU in the kitchen above, see image of connection blocks between original tails and new cables to the new CU, and their position directly below the sink bowl as defined by
P_20181104_100506.jpg
tap upstands and various waste water pipes. Electrician says that I need to I stall access hatch in floor because there are connections (not just the CU tail blocks).

Any comments?

Sponsored Links
All that is rather rough and would not comply with BS7671 for a number of different reasons. Probably not 'dangerous' but certainly not an acceptable installation, whether the pipes/sink were there or not.

They will need access for maintenance/testing for sure. They appear to be floating in the air at present? Red Black single insulation?

Is this the only place they could have gone? Is it close to where the DNO cut out is? How far? Where's the Meter with regards to this?

P_20181104_142409.jpg
The meter is in the room below and behind the blocks, but behind on the other side the wall to the rear of them; the old tails are the originals, the meter is probably 2.5m - 3m back from the connector blocks and the new cables going on to the CU are about 4m each

I don't know what a DNO cutout is.

We agreed that meter/CU connection cables would be all new and continuous but when I got home the muppet had done this...."yeah....about that...."

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is there a certificate for the consumer unit install / move?

Problems:
Maximum length of tails is usually 3m.
Tails cannot be concealed in the wall unless more than 50mm from the surface.
The black/red wires look to be smaller than the grey ones - should be the same size.
Also have to ask where these came from, as such colours haven't been available for well over a decade.
Connections must remain accessible, and those black connector boxes must be securely fixed to something, not left hanging on the wires.

What is this taped up mess?

what_the.jpg

My dissatisfaction has been expressed and a cert has not yet been issued, I seriously doubt that one will be issued.

Is this guy a member of a Part P scheme? Have you paid him yet ?

Actually, the agreed new cable was supposed to run from the meter to the new CU and, in order to accommodate an imminent repositioning of the meter, was supposed to be slightly overlength (although there was no agreement on paper to this effect). I got home to be told "yeah...about that meter move....we thought it easier to just do this...... I've been working up the text to drop on his MyBuilder feedback. 'Contractors' I suppose the clue was in the title - no contract, so no actual remit, so no comeback apart from a real stinker of a feedback.

Last edited:
They will need access for maintenance/testing for sure. They appear to be floating in the air at present? Red Black single insulation?

Is this the only place they could have gone? Is it close to where the DNO cut out is? How far? Where's the Meter with regards to this?
It was agreed that the original tails would be removed and replaced with longer, continuous cables. There shouldn't have been connector blocks.

Is there a certificate for the consumer unit install / move?

Problems:
Maximum length of tails is usually 3m.
Tails cannot be concealed in the wall unless more than 50mm from the surface.
The black/red wires look to be smaller than the grey ones - should be the same size.
Also have to ask where these came from, as such colours haven't been available for well over a decade.
Connections must remain accessible, and those black connector boxes must be securely fixed to something, not left hanging on the wires.

What is this taped up mess?

View attachment 151522
If you count the cables into the photo and the cables out of the photo it looks suspiciously like a "joint" (the cable connection type)

Without my glasses on it looked like the installer had laid an egg under the floorboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back