Is this discrimination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Or racist ? They have been talking about it on the radio

Dating sites ? Those who are looking for s partner may state no whites / or white only ? Or no Asians or asians only ect

Dare say u get my point ?

Sponsored Links
I can't see anything wrong with putting, for example, "looking for tall, Italian lady", "lovely English rose" or "beautiful Oriental lady" etc etc, but excluding people by saying, for example "no Italians, English or Orientals" would be found offensive by some. The BBC would have a field day; Diane Abbot and Janet Street-Porter would be on overtime.

but excluding people by saying, for example "no Italians, English or Orientals" would be found offensive by some.
Yep...

Kind of like excluding EU nationals being offensive to some ;)

Is it any different to, say DIYnot, allowing bigoted comments?

Your question is a bit confused, or based on a confused understanding of discrimination and racism.

Discriminatory - excluding people because of some characteristic, e.g ethnicity/ religion/size/sexuality, etc

Racism - excluding people because of their ethnicity or nationality, or some characteristic associated with ethnicity or nationality.

The words discrimination or racism do not only apply to exclusion, but I have used that as it applies in this example.

It is the individual making those comments that is being discriminatory.
It is up to the site hosting such comments to decide if they want to accommodate those comments.

Otherwise one could argue that Utube is racist, homophobic, etc.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

Your question is a bit confused, or based on a confused understanding of discrimination and racism.

Discriminatory - excluding people because of some characteristic, e.g ethnicity/ religion/size/sexuality, etc

Racism - excluding people because of their ethnicity or nationality, or some characteristic associated with ethnicity or nationality.

The words discrimination or racism do not only apply to exclusion, but I have used that as it applies in this example.

It is up to the site hosting such comments to decide if they want to accommodate those comments.

Why do you keep coming back just to moan about how this place is run?

So in other words ? It would be discrimination ? Or racist ? If I refused to give some lady one because she was of some ethnicity that I was not attracted to ?

There have been ethnic dating sites for ages, you have sites which match Jewish boys with nice Jewish girls, Muslims have arranged marriages to other Muslims, Hindu's do the same.
It is hard to believe that so many people have so little going on in their lives that they have nothing better to do except to jump on every outrage bus that comes along.

So in other words ? It would be discrimination ? Or racist ? If I refused to give some lady one because she was of some ethnicity that I was not attracted to ?
Yes, don't get to pally with Dianne Abbot or Elton John.

It must work the other way round as well.

Were they serious on the radio programme?

If I was looking for a partner, I would state: no smokers, no drug addicts, no gamblers, no alcoholics, etc.
I suspect gay people, when looking for a partner, specify only gay or bi-sexual need apply.

If it's a type of person that you are attracted to, that's life.
As far as I am aware, equalities legislation does not apply to personal relationships.

One is hardly likely to start a potential relationship with another, if they are not attracted to them.
So transam's comments, whilst appearing to be thought provoking, are a non-starter, in practice.

Sponsored Links
Back