Is this ok...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just removed an old pull switch light and capped off the 3 wires. Will tape together with electrical tape. Is this ok? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20160117_112045.jpg
    20160117_112045.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
Not if the cable is still live.

If it is still live, you need to work out where it goes to, and disconnect it there.

Can you get access above?

If you can't do any of the above two things, maybe you could bash a hole in the ceiling (only if hollow though), locate the cable, and fit an enclosed 20amp junction box on the cable.

It is probably fed from a hidden junction box or ceiling rose somewhere, the safest way is to disconnect it there. There may be a screw down flap in the upstairs floorboards in the case of a ground floor light junction box, or simply mounted in the loft space on a first floor lighting circuit.

Crap. Thought that was all i had to do. Is it unsafe then or coud o get away with it ?

Sponsored Links
It goes into this
... it's the bigger middle cable.

Attachments

• 20160117_115520.jpg
    20160117_115520.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 116
Looks easy enough to disconnect it. If you don't, there's a risk that you or someone else might in the future put a nail or screw through that cable while hanging a picture or a cupboard. Remove the cable if you can, but you must at least disconnect it from that junction box.

The rule book says to be considered as safe zones there must be something to show where a cable is likely feeding so while there is a lamp, switch, socket or FCU at the end of the cable it is in a safe zone, as soon as the item it feeds is removed then it loses it's safe zone status so needs removing or making dead.

Also with a junction box as shown there is no cable retainer built into the box so all cables need cleats outside the box to retain them. Adding cables which are not fixed to the woodwork in some way is not permitted with that type of junction box.

Thanks for replies. Its all existing cabling from when i moved in. It was a 70s wall light which i am completely removing. I did buy a wall plate to put on top. So to remove the cable, does that box unscrew, remove cable and voila?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back