Is this Socket Extension OK?

Thanks mate, Over thinking is probably right, and ofcourse the limited knowledge. What you have shown is clearly what I should do, i went that route before I even picked up my laptop to post. I can do what you suggest with the top circle but I figured spurring that one off (socket 2) would be the easiest thing to do.......its the other one with the distance concerned and ripping up carpets, redecorating etc etc............I guess I was trying to get around it. Im clearly out of my depth with a couple of you saying it and way off where I should be to do the job so I guess i'll get someone in.

e2a haha and your right, im never ever getting 5 x 2.5mm cables in there! DOH you see, its the common sense thing...E2a again again lol - Thats why I spurred off from the proposed socket 5 to proposed socket 7 but I changed the diagram to show ban all sheds what i meant.............its not getting any easier lol

E2A again- I see what youve done by adding the new socket to the ring (proposed socket 5) but like I said I wouldve done that if I could identify which cables go to socket 2 and which go to the fuse box. I guess I should explain, Socket 1 is in isolation at the other end of the room on its own wall and theres just 2 blue and 2 brown cables coming out of the wall and into Socket 1. If I could establish which was which as above then I would obviously do it the way you suggest. Socket 1 is the main socket for the sofa area and ideally I want another double socket right next to socket 1 and another double socket about 6 foot away at the other end of the sofa (socket 7). Socket 2 is at the other side of the living room and houses all of the TV etc so need extra plugs. I really arent as thick as this thread is making me look, I just dont think you get me, or i am just thick lol

Right ive decided, a real diagram to show what I mean, watch this space lol

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hope Socket 1 has got a MASSIVE backbox- you'll enjoy trying to stuff 5 x 2.5mm T & E in an ordinary one! Ideally the T & E from the Kitchen would link straight to Socket 5 (if you have to join cables to do this then you can use terminal block in the backbox of Socket 1) to maintain the ring.
newsocket.jpg

Don't forget safe zones for your (presumably) buried cables.

DRAT- beaten to it!

E2A again- I see what youve done by adding the new socket to the ring (proposed socket 5) but like I said I wouldve done that if I could identify which cables go to socket 2 and which go to the fuse box. I guess I should explain, Socket 1 is in isolation at the other end of the room on its own wall and theres just 2 blue and 2 brown cables coming out of the wall and into Socket 1. If I could establish which was which as above then I would obviously do it the way you suggest. Socket 1 is the main socket for the sofa area and ideally I want another double socket right next to socket 1 and another double socket about 6 foot away at the other end of the sofa (socket 7). Socket 2 is at the other side of the living room and houses all of the TV etc so need extra plugs. I really arent as thick as this thread is making me look, I just dont think you get me, or i am just thick lol
Don't worry about a diagram, I think I know what you mean. If you don't know which legs socket 1 has, you have two options, use a multimeter to carry out some continuity tests (also know as belling out the cables) will require you to strip down the sockets you think it may feed and testing to see which cable goes where (with power off of course)

Or, as I suspect you aren't going to use these sockets for heavy load items (correct me if I'm wrong) just add a fused spur next to the socket, then your new socket, then chase across, add the second socket. Jobs a good'un for that section.

Keep it simple. Don't worry about keeping it on the ring, so long as you do it properly

Ha sorry, ive done the diagram lol Here is is, our living room with the sockets. Its all plasterboard barratt house style and im literally looking for the easiest way of adding those sockets. 2 of which will be the new USB charging sockets for obvious reasons. Your right, there not heavily used, particularly the sofa ones but it would be so much better if I can add an extra socket (socket 5) while I was doing it. Ive certainly overcomplicated things and im now just thinking about spurring off socket 1 for proposed socket 7 and just having a double socket for socket 1 leaving proposed socket 5 out completely. Anyway, i'll post this so you know what im trying to do lol

Attachments

• living room.jpg
    living room.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
Or, as I suspect you aren't going to use these sockets for heavy load items (correct me if I'm wrong) just add a fused spur next to the socket, then your new socket, then chase across, add the second socket. Jobs a good'un for that section.

Keep it simple. Don't worry about keeping it on the ring, so long as you do it properly

This bit sounds promising! So I add a fused spur to socket 1. Then connect that to proposed socket 5 and again to proposed socket 7? I didnt think I could do that so i bet im confused again shock!

Last edited:
This bit sounds promising! So I add a fused spur to socket 1. Then connect that to proposed socket 5 and again to proposed socket 7? I didnt think I could do that so i bet im confused again shock!
Yep, it's a method that gets used all the time. Existing socket -> 13A FCU -> New socket -> New socket

You can add as many sockets as you like this way, but you're limited to only 13A total on the sockets supplied by the FCU, this means there are situations where it works, and others where it won't. I suspect it will be perfectly fine for your living room.

Oh thats great cheers Iggifert I didnt realise I could do that! Thats what i'll do then!. Yeah your right, the new sockets from socket 1 will primarily have just iphone chargers, the electrics for reclining sofa, table light, nothing power hungry so im sure that will be fine!

A massive thanks Iggifer, EFLImpudence and others for your patience and your help. Like I said im not the best at explaining things and im known for doing everything the hardest possible way but i tend to get there in the end lol and if its too much i have no problem getting someone qualified in....Thanks again for taking the time to help me, i'll let you know how I get on! :D

Last edited:
Ha sorry, ive done the diagram lol Here is is, our living room with the sockets. Its all plasterboard barratt house style and im literally looking for the easiest way of adding those sockets. 2 of which will be the new USB charging sockets for obvious reasons. Your right, there not heavily used, particularly the sofa ones but it would be so much better if I can add an extra socket (socket 5) while I was doing it. Ive certainly overcomplicated things and im now just thinking about spurring off socket 1 for proposed socket 7 and just having a double socket for socket 1 leaving proposed socket 5 out completely. Anyway, i'll post this so you know what im trying to do lol

The best thing to do would be to forget the link from socket1 to socket2 (rip it out or partially rip it out and use as the link from socket 1 to socket 7) and link the proposed sockets 6 and 7. That way you have everything on the ring bar the proposed socket 5. That said you give the impression that socket 1 is a single socket, so you could just replace for a double.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back