Is this the most expensive car park in uk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Coming back from Harrogate to Lancashire with my good lady we thought that we would take the opportunity and visit Bolton Abbey ruins.
On arriving in the village we saw a car park and drew in expecting to pay via a machine.
However payment in this case was at a manned cabin at the entrance.
When I asked how much, I was told in no uncertain terms £10, I was so shocked I asked him to repeat it and again I got the message "I have already told you £10"
Now OK in some city centre I could expect this , but at 3pm !
I wouldn't care but it was about a mile from the abbey ruins.
No I didn't park there, neither did the guy in the car behind me.

Sponsored Links
I was told in no uncertain terms £10, I was so shocked I asked him to repeat it and again I got the message "I have already told you £10"
Now OK in some city centre I could expect this , but at 3pm !
I wouldn't care but it was about a mile from the abbey ruins.
No I didn't park there, neither did the guy in the car behind me.
Did you ask if the wax and polish was optional?

Sponsored Links
The car park fee is actually your entrance fee to the abbey.
You'd find that there is nowhere else to park unfortunately, unless you want a long walk.
From the car park into the abbey itself is not that far, and all down hill.

Next time I go I'll probably park miles away and walk the dogs.

Yup the fee includes (get this) occupants of vehicle up to 11 (number not age!)

So next time cram a few more bodies in and get in for 91p each...

The car park fee is actually your entrance fee to the abbey.
You'd find that there is nowhere else to park unfortunately, unless you want a long walk.
From the car park into the abbey itself is not that far, and all down hill.

Next time I go I'll probably park miles away and walk the dogs.

Now if the miserable sod on the gate had said that, I would gladly have paid a tenner.
All he said was £10 and repeated it in a not to friendly manner.
After checking on line I find I was trying to park in the "wellie walk " car park

Carparks in order of difficulty, starting with easiest first:

1) unmanned carpark with pay machine, no barrier - simply park and don't pay
2) unmanned carpark with pay machine, with barrier - requires tailgaiting the car in front out of the carpark before the barrier comes down
3) manned carpark - exit guarded by jobsworth **** - requires tailgaiting the car in front out of the carpark before the barrier comes down whilst giving guard the finger
4) manned carpark - entrance guarded by jobsworth **** - requires payment on entry - hardlest level difficulty - requires clevery trickery and deception, fail probability 80%

Sounds like you got a level 4

In all cases parking fines are fraudulent, whether they are council or from a private company and can be completely ignored.

My Ma took me to the bank and parked in a layby outside:

upload_2017-6-23_21-58-1.png

Having a blue badge, I did not think I needed to pay. There were signs on tall poles (this picture predates them) but it was very difficult to read them. The PAD machine did not mention blue badge holders would have to pay.
We were there 13 minutes. My Mum got a £100 fine a couple of weeks later (apparently they have ANPR cams either end of the layby. They give 10 minutes free parking.

I fought the charge on behalf of my Ma, partly because it was my fault she was there but mainly because I was disgusted by the charge.

The parking is regulated by British Parking Association (BPA) which uses Parking On Private Land Appeals (POPLA) to judge cases where "fines" have been issued.

The BPA has this advice in its code of practice:

The Equality Act 2010 says that providers of services to the public must make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to remove barriers which may discriminate against disabled people. 16.2 ‘Reasonable adjustments’ to prevent discrimination are likely to include larger ‘disabled’ parking spaces near to the entrance or amenities for disabled people whose mobility is impaired. It also could include lowered payment machines and other ways to pay if payment is required: for example, paying by phone. You and your staff also need to realise that some disabled people may take a long time to get to the payment machine. 16.3 Operators of off-street car parks do not have to recognise the Blue Badge scheme. But many choose to do so to meet their obligations under the Equality Act. Although a Blue Badge is not issued to all disabled people it is issued to those with mobility problems. So it is a good way for parking operators to identify people who need special parking provision. 16.4 You are at risk of a claim under the Equality Act if you do not discourage abuse of the ‘disabled’ spaces. This means that you need to make sure the spaces are regularly checked to be sure they are not being used by people who do not have a disability.

So I pointed out to them that the signs were far too tall and the font too small to be read by someone in a wheelchair and therefore they had discriminated against disabled people by not making reasonable adjustments under EA 2010.

We won our appeal.

Have they altered the signage? Have they fkcu!!

So you are not hating on the free market - they can charge what they like. You can pay or go elsewhere. It's not rip off Britain its free market Britain- the market sets the price. Freedom from regulation.

You are sounding like Himmy - perhaps ignore would be better but I'll give it a go.

So you are not hating on the free market - they can charge what they like.
What has the free market to do with Council car parks and nearby Bolton Abbey?

You can pay or go elsewhere.
You cannot go elsewhere if you want to visit Bolton Abbey.
If, as has been suggested, Bolton Abbey does not charge for pedestrians, then the car park charge cannot be an admission fee but merely a car park charge, which at ten pounds is excessive and indeed a rip off.

It's not rip off Britain
Yes it is. You have been conditioned to accept being charged every time you apply the handbrake; other places are not the same.
Oh. maybe not Himmy as he has been abroad, or so he said.

its free market Britain- the market sets the price. Freedom from regulation.
So - with whom is the Council in competition? Are they not a body to oversee PUBLIC areas?

Free markets means that the supplier of the attraction can charge whatever price they wish - whether or not they want to profit maximise. Don't confude this with ownership.

The opportunity cost of parking at the Abbey is time spent in parking further out and walking in.

The Abbey is in competition with all other attractions.

Who is Himmy?

Free markets means that the supplier of the attraction can charge whatever price they wish
Who owns Bolton Abbey? Are they in the entertainment business?

- whether or not they want to profit maximise. Don't confude this with ownership.
Not sure what that means.

The opportunity cost of parking at the Abbey is time spent in parking further out and walking in.
What is an opportunity cost?
Time spent at the Abbey will presumably be a couple of hours so ten pounds is excessive.
Excessive parking charges, generally, are not a result of the free market; quite the opposite. They are either a restricting mechanism or a rip off.

The Abbey is in competition with all other attractions.
Is it?
Is it not more heritage than an attraction?

Who is Himmy?
A previous incarnation of Wannabe to whom you seem remarkably similar.

Sponsored Links
Back