Is this the norm now days

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just had my electrician size the cables for my new kitchen supplies. They have suggested 2.5mm T&E for the oven supply.

When i questioned this (as i have only ever seen far beefier cables in ovens) they said that 2.5mm is normal now days for ovens as they are far more efficient and the larger cables (10mm) are left for the hobs only.

Is this correct before i let them lose on pulling cables?

Sponsored Links
Might be a good idea to find out the kw rating for the oven before giving advice.

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
From looking at the literature the ratings are as below;

Microwave oven 2.2kw
Steam oven 3.2kw
Main Oven 3.5kw

All are on their own supply. Spark has recommended 2.5mm T&E on 16amp breakers

Sorry I didn't mention, the hob will be on a separate circuit using 10mm T&E on a 50 amp breaker.

Sorry I didn't mention, the hob will be on a separate circuit using 10mm T&E on a 50 amp breaker.
Guess that is oversized then. Hobs only normally require 4mm2 cable on a 32a breaker. Look up diversity.

How do you know it's oversized with out knowing the Hob rating W? Or are Hobs no bigger than 32A

Last edited:
From looking at the literature the ratings are as below;

Microwave oven 2.2kw
Steam oven 3.2kw
Main Oven 3.5kw

All are on their own supply. Spark has recommended 2.5mm T&E on 16amp breakers
He could have recommended 1.5mm2 for a 16 a breaker.

How do you know it's oversized with out knowing the Hob rating W? Or are Hobs no bigger than 32A
... I don't think you would find a hob which represented more than a 32A after diversity load - since that would be something like 83A (about 19 kW at 230V) without diversity.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back