Is your work slowly killing you?

Do you feel your work is adversely affecting your health?

• Yes

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

Big Tone

I thought this was interesting, I saw in the news today, and something I can relate to unfortunately...

• A third of adults say their job is the most stressful part of their lives, according to a study carried out for Mind
• 57% of adults admit to drinking after work and 14% say they even drink DURING the day
• 7% of adults say they have suicidal thoughts because of work-related stress

Around one in 11, (9 per cent), have resigned from a job because of stress while a quarter (25 per cent) admit they have thought about quitting but have yet to do so, it was found.

Other ways of coping include using sleeping tablets or anti-depressants, or smoking.

I know for a fact there are several people on ‘happy pills’ in my work place, and that's just the ones I do know of. One person I have worked with for years recently ended up resigning because she was drunk at work, (after recently getting a ban for same), and rather than go through the ignominious process - instead just resigned...

As always, this is just what we know and what people tell us. What the real figures are may truly be shocking and I personally think it’s a much bigger problem than even this report suggests.

I wonder, does this ring true with anyone here or some people you know at your work place?

Sponsored Links
I used to have a drink every day albeit either a couple of glasses of wine or a couple of cans with my tea.

Never, ever drink at work. Never gone straight to the boozer from work either. Drinking and driving has never sit well with me either.

I now only indulge at weekends and am totally alcohol free during the week. It is so easy to become a habitual drinker and dependency is only just around the corner.

I admire people who can take it or leave it. I'm afraid i will always be a take it kind of guy thats why i have self imposed restrictions.

I used to have a drink every day albeit either a couple of glasses of wine or a couple of cans with my tea.

Never, ever drink at work. Never gone straight to the boozer from work either. Drinking and driving has never sit well with me either.

I now only indulge at weekends and am totally alcohol free during the week. It is so easy to become a habitual drinker and dependency is only just around the corner.

I admire people who can take it or leave it. I'm afraid i will always be a take it kind of guy thats why i have self imposed restrictions.
Very honest of you Noseall
grinning-smiley-043.gif

You’re in a similar place to me I think. I did let it get out of hand, to my shame, when I had some life-changing event/s many years ago. It’s like a cancer; you don’t just wake up one day and realise you can down two bottles of 13.5% wine and still wake up the next day with a spring in your step. :rolleyes:

So I too have limited myself to a couple of ales on the Tuesday lads night out and maybe again at the weekend. I’ve noticed lately that they don’t seem to be telling us about binge drinking but instead they're saying “give your body a few days off in the week”.

I never drink at work either. Not because I’d get fired for it, (which I would), but I’m just not interested during the day. Same too with driving. If I lost my licence I’d lose my job, and with it probably my house etc. So it's a no-brainer to me.

That’s kinda why and how I started to have a couple at home after work though, to chill and take the edge off a sh1tty day. But then, as you say, it is so easy for it to become a way of life. The other thing I’ve found is it’s much easier to just have nothing than to have one or two and ‘get the taste’.

But yes, in short, my work and personal life probably did take me down the path of drinking more than is healthy and I’ve certainly seen it in many others. This is why the report came as no surprise to me really. I only know one person who enjoys their job. The rest are all super-stressed...

I consider myself to be extremely lucky with my job. My boss is as much my friend as my boss and I know that i'll probably never work for another guy like him. I turn up at 8am and at 5pm on the dot, i'm out the door and I forget about work completely until the next day. Occasionally if something needs doing, i'll work late, but on the other hand, I know that if I need to finish early (like today - parents evening at school) he wont have a problem with me finishing early. There's some 'cons' - I'm pretty sure I could get a higher salary doing the same thing elsewhere - but then, money isn't everything.

Agree with you both on lunchtime drinking though - apart from anything else, I struggle to stay awake in the afternoon after just a pint at lunchtime - so apart from very rare occasions (Christmas being one), the pub isn't part of my working day. I'm very much a social drinker, don't very often drink at home, only accasionaly if we have friends round, or sometimes with a meal. Its very rare that I think "I need a drink" and I can only recall once in my lifetime (after a break-up when I was much younger) that i've got seriously drunk with the specific aim of forgetting my troubles.

Sponsored Links
My job has to be my dream job. There is not a better employer within the manufacturing industry in the entire country. Never get stressed ever.

Wow, you’re very lucky Andrew.

I did wonder if it was something specific or worse in the public service, but I know enough people in the private sector who feel the same as me. Also, when I had a manager at work who was an a-hole and I tried to get him out under ‘Bullying and Harassment’ from the Dignity at Work policy, (working in the NHS as I do), when I told my G.P. he said “Oh yes, it’s rife in the NHS). :eek:

To my mind it’s the modern emphasis on constantly trying to get more of better from less. It’s not enough for big companies to make a profit, it’s about how much more profit they made this year from last. But you can only go on with that ethos for so long before workers become ill or leave. Of course with the recession being what it is now, jobs are scarce and employers both know it and use it to their advantage IMHO.

Anyone here of a certain age will remember that back in the early 70’s if you didn’t like your job or were getting too much grief you could just stick two fingers up to your boss and walk into another job next week. I’m not saying that was always good, (and I was too young to remember it), but the pendulum has swung the other way now I think and we’re all in fear of losing not just our job but little chance of an alternative livelihood.

I'm a non-drinker, haven't drunk for 30 years. Not even socially. (I haven't got any friends. :cry: )

Anyone here of a certain age will remember that back in the early 70’s if you didn’t like your job or were getting too much grief you could just stick two fingers up to your boss and walk into another job next week. I’m not saying that was always good, (and I was too young to remember it),.
It wasn`t just good ....it was Bloody Good... Long live us Baby Boomers - we`re robbing the young`uns of their future :rolleyes:

I'm a non-drinker, haven't drunk for 30 years. Not even socially. (I haven't got any friends. :cry: )
I'm not surprised, with your attitude. I'd be your friend if you didnt make false Troll-like acusations. Anyway, I thought you had a friend in Je$u$ ;)

Anyone here of a certain age will remember that back in the early 70’s if you didn’t like your job or were getting too much grief you could just stick two fingers up to your boss and walk into another job next week. I’m not saying that was always good, (and I was too young to remember it),.
It wasn`t just good ....it was Bloody Good... Long live us Baby Boomers - we`re robbing the young`uns of their future :rolleyes:
Oh, giving your age away a bit then Nige ;)

Incidentally, the one person I know who enjoys their job is my next door neighbour. She's runs a small hardressers, so she gets to chat, hear the gossip AND makes very good money.

What about us who don't work? yes it adversely affects me as i have nothing to look forward to, holidays with the children, days out, i'm on the beer everynight cheap stuff but if i was working, my drinking would be much less.

Sponsored Links
Back