• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I read this article and laughed when I got to this bit:

People who drink to get drunk would not be influenced by these measures

Don't most drinkers get drunk? If not often, then at least occasionally! :LOL:

People have told me in the past "I drink purely because I like the taste", to which I have called B-S. Whilst I often just have a swift pint with friends without turning into a session, I don't think I'd ever have started drinking if it wasn't for the fact it gets me drunk. Beer tastes nice, but fruity things taste nicer.

I wouldn't have continued if it wasn't for the cultural aspects... round here we only have pubs open at night. So, even if you're not drinking you're sat in a drinking establishment with mates who are drinking. :cry: When I gave up drinking for a few months last year, they thought I was nuts... drinking J2O when I could have had a beer for the same money. :LOL:

So, I was thinking, can anyone honestly say that they never drink to get drunk? What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Yes, make it more expensive, that'll solve* everything!

Just look at drugs like heroin, coke etc- the high price really stops people from doing it doesn't it!

*"solve" being relative, but relevant as we're dealing with those who know better than us whats good for us. Heil comrades.

Sponsored Links
Beer tastes nice, but fruity things taste nicer.

Fruity things - like wine!!

'Work is the curse of the drinking classes' (Olly Reid)

avoid hangovers stay drunk :eek:

used to drink to excess in my late teens to mid twenties, but i think most folks as they get older curb their excesses and find a happy medium.
:D

Reading through some of the threads in these forums (you know which one) makes me want to get back on the bottle :confused: ;)

I think I need to be a consumer of some some units. Then I'll be a live wire, eh watt? Or maybe it will make me revolting under the current circumstances.

Ohmy word. :eek:

Enough :!:

Yes, make it more expensive, that'll solve* everything!

Just look at drugs like heroin, coke etc- the high price really stops people from doing it doesn't it!

*"solve" being relative, but relevant as we're dealing with those who know better than us whats good for us. Heil comrades.

Agree with you Hairy - in the same way that the endless increases in fuel duty has made us all abandon our cars and increasing tax on tabacco has stopped everyone smoking.

Fact is, people will do as they want irrespective of the price because people will find a way to afford it.

Is deaths from drinking really a major issue anyway (underage drinking, drunken violence being different matters)?? The figures on that article state that Scotland has the worse figures in the UK but even then only 0.027% of the annual deaths are alcohol related - that doesn't seem that much to me?? And not worth making the overwhelming majority of people who drink sensibly pay more for their alcohol?

Sponsored Links
Back