Isolator Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new CU to my attached garage using 6mm cable attached to an exsisting 32amp mcb do I need to fit an Isolator Switch to the connecting cable

Sponsored Links
Which end?

Edit: If you mean at the house end, no. If you mean at the garage end, yes.

At the garage end there will be one in the CU....

I was thinking that but I've seen a DIY effort with no main switch - just looped in & out of the bottom of the breakers. "It didn't come with a switch so I didn't bother with one."

Sponsored Links
I am fitting a new CU to my attached garage using 6mm cable attached to an exsisting 32amp mcb do I need to fit an Isolator Switch to the connecting cable

The new CU should have an isolator switch incorporated in it, there should also be RCD protection, either as part of the main isolator or for a bank of circuits/indivuidual circuits. Depending on type and size of CU.
A small garage consumer unit normally offers isolation and RCD protection, that will protect two circuits. One for socket outlets and one for lights.
Take care and be aware of the regulations and compliances in your part of the UK.

Isn't about time you called some one in who actually knows what they are doing - how many questions do you have to ask?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=254223
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=255424
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=257615
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=257905
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=258251

If you are doing this work yourself these questions should be directed at your building control officer - his/her name will appear on your building regulation notice you should have received after your application was approved.

In answer to "riveralt" Isn,t this a forum to give advice to people such as myself you are under no obligation to answer any of my queries let the people who are genuine and wish to provide help to do so

Isn't about time you called some one in who actually knows what they are doing - how many questions do you have to ask?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=254223
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=255424
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=257615
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=257905
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=258251

If you are doing this work yourself these questions should be directed at your building control officer - his/her name will appear on your building regulation notice you should have received after your application was approved.

At the garage end there will be one in the CU....

I was thinking that but I've seen a DIY effort with no main switch - just looped in & out of the bottom of the breakers. "It didn't come with a switch so I didn't bother with one."

Are these your thoughts, or someone else's?

The short answer to your question is Yes, you should have a double pole isolator in the garage.

The long answer is very long, and too long to be answered here.

Do you have any 30 mA RCD protection on this circuit?

How is the 6 mm cable actually run to the garage? What sort of cable is it?

Will the RCD be in the house or garage?

We need more information before we can give a satisfactory answer. We also need to respectfully find out if you are competent to carry out this work.

how many questions do you have to ask?

He asks as many questions as he wants in order to do s safe job. You are not obliged to answer his questions. Do you know what DIY stands for?

And how do you know that his is not putting together the knowledge he needs before submitting his job to his LBA?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

how many questions do you have to ask?
He asks as many questions as he wants in order to do s safe job. You are not obliged to answer his questions.
Indeed he may and at this stage I want to offer my humble apologies to geome I didn't appreciate he had already installed a new consumer unit in his house in 2009- is this the one you are going to create a sub main from now?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1250442#1250442

But I have to ask if you have already installed one before why are you asking so many questions now. After all when you installed this CU you will probably have come across these issues before .
I would have thought that if you spoke to BC they would be able to check their records of your previous work recorded with them.
They could have looked at the EIC submitted, saw the results and been reassured of your capabilities both in design, installation and inspection and testing.
With this weight of evidence obtaining their permission to sign of your own work would be easy.

is that sarcasm? Or was it cumbriahandyman who was being sarcastic?

Perhaps some of us recognise the uninformed person who is doing something he is not competent or equipped to do, and perhaps sometimes our judgement is incorrect. And sometimes correct.

Which end?

Edit: If you mean at the house end, no. If you mean at the garage end, yes.

Although as MCBs are usually single pole, a double pole isolator at the house end is a good idea if there's a neutral-earth fault on the cable, which would trip an RCD supplying a group of circuits.

A DP switched RCBO would be better, of course.

Although as MCBs are usually single pole, a double pole isolator at the house end is a good idea if there's a neutral-earth fault on the cable, which would trip an RCD supplying a group of circuits.

A DP switched RCBO would be better, of course.

No mention of an RCD. Also, he already has the MCB in the board so I'm guessing he won't be too keen on going out & buying an RCBO.

Personally as it's an attached garage I wouldn't bother with a DP isolator in the house. The only likely N-E fault would be caused by moisture but appropriate selection of accessories will avoid that problem.

He asks as many questions as he wants in order to do s safe job
Unfortunately that's not quite the case.

He asks as many questions as he thinks he needs to in order to do a safe job, which is not the same thing, because of the old "unknown unknowns" problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back