It doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable, it’s just a song..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
…but now it’s in the news, I’m sure there will be a few on here who will profess to have been ashamed about it for years. Is it just me that sees the irony of it being said by a black cellist who played at a royal wedding?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately white people have had their day. Same as the Jews have had their time in the sun.

It's all change from now.

When I emigrated to Australia people would say to me: this country is shįt. I didn't feel that about this country but my reply always was: Don't moan about it do something about it. Move to where you feel you would feel happy.

The Aussies would say : If you don't love it Fùck off. Nothing wrong in that. I didn't like it so I fùcked off.

Same applies for everyone it's a short life.

Sponsored Links
I used to sing along with it back in the day at LNOTP, very rousing, but the proms thing all seems a bit old fashioned. Don't have a problem with a professional musician having a different view though, you brexxers have wafer-thin egos. Our country faces far bigger problems, including smashing to pieces a perfectly good trade deal.

I find it quite poor, that one of the biggest shows on the telly nowadays is about lying to people.

Traitor, or summat.

Like bad news though, it appears to sell well.

…but now it’s in the news, I’m sure there will be a few on here who will profess to have been ashamed about it for years. Is it just me that sees the irony of it being said by a black cellist who played at a royal wedding?

What does this song mean to you?

When Britain first, at Heaven's command
Arose from out the azure main;
This was the charter of the land,
And guardian angels sung this strain:

"Rule, Britannia! rule the waves:
"Britons never will be slaves."

The nations, not so blest as thee,
Must, in their turns, to tyrants fall;
While thou shalt flourish great and free,
The dread and envy of them all.

Still more majestic shalt thou rise,
More dreadful, from each foreign stroke;
As the loud blast that tears the skies,
Serves but to root thy native oak.

Thee haughty tyrants ne'er shall tame:
All their attempts to bend thee down,
Will but arouse thy generous flame;
But work their woe, and thy renown.

To thee belongs the rural reign;
Thy cities shall with commerce shine:
All thine shall be the subject main,
And every shore it circles thine.

The Muses, still with freedom found,
Shall to thy happy coast repair;
Blest Isle! With matchless beauty crown'd,
And manly hearts to guard the fair.

I just find it a bit embarrassing these days, given our reduced status. My mum used to sing us this version.

A talented young musician performing that most English of things, classical music, gets attacked for expressing a view by brexxers who say forget about the empire, it’s in the past, and on the other hand use it like an attack dog when it suits them. He doesn't want it banned, it will still be played at military and royal events. A bit of Deep Purple wouldn't go amiss at TLNOTP’s.

What does it represent - a golden past that is lost that we are trying to reclaim? An ideal to strive for? A myth to uphold?

Where do you draw the line between patriotism and capitalism?

Sponsored Links
Back