Joining straight wall to angled wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

How do I go about joining two dwarf brick walls at a 90degree corner where one is level and the other is on a 1in60 fall?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Sorry I should have made it clear that both walls will be new. Is there a technique for interlocking the bricks to allow for the fall along one of the arms of this L shaped wall only?

Do you really mean that you are building a new wall with sloping courses of bricks?

Normal convention is to build walls level and slope or step the top only. This allows to any other walls to be tied into corresponding bed joints

Otherwise you will need to hang some wire ties out where the other wall will meet

Sponsored Links
I suppose I do, it's just the slope is tiny, matching the fall of the paving at 60:1. So over the required length it'll be a difference of about 30mm.

The wall is to take up the level for a patio which is 3-4 courses higher than the lawn will be. Paving will be sitting on top of the wall, so the flat, level part of the wall is under the leading edge of the patio, and then the wall turns 90degrees and runs in the direction of the fall.

Could I angle the bricks at the corner such that they interlock and the mortar joint can take up the slight angle of the fall, thus giving a few small wedges of mortar at the join rather than uniform 10mm?

It's all confusing. I'd just hang some wire ties out where the other wall is to go

You intend building one wall horizontal and the other joining it will be sloped?

Jeez that will not be easy on the eye!

I suppose if the join is not seen and the sleeper wall is kinda hidden then just fill the joints accordingly and do as Woodcock said.

Could I angle the bricks at the corner such that they interlock and the mortar joint can take up the slight angle of the fall, thus giving a few small wedges of mortar at the join rather than uniform 10mm?
You probably could as the fall in the length of the brick will be less than 4 mm, if looks are unimportant.

I wouldn't say looks are unimportant, but I don't know any other way to do it. I don't want a brick border to the patio, the wall has to go underneath, so therefore it must have a fall, otherwise I'd need a long, thick wedge of mortar between paving and wall, which would look awful.

If I just build a straight wall, I lose lots of lawn space. It has to come out to meet the shed door, and go back to give more lawn.

Thanks for all the input.

An option would be not to tie it in, but butt joint the sloping wall. You could mitre the ends of the bricks to keep a 10mm joint at the join and tie in as woody said. If you put a bat next to the header and used some coloured mortar to blind in the perp it might look like it is tied in, if you don't want a straight joint showing.

You probably could as the fall in the length of the brick will be less than 4 mm, if looks are unimportant.

As Stuart has said the return will bond in, and we very much doubt that even an eagle eyed bricklayer would notice it.
The joint below the header face will be 9mm to11mm which is neither here nor there at ground level.
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back