Joining two different wire sizes for ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year everyone,

I have purchased a new ceiling light for my bathroom (Modern Simple Style Waterproof Round Ceiling Light Color Change for Bedroom, Bathroom & Balcony) from Lightzey. I think the bulb information is LED, 220V and maximum wattage 36W (as i've bought the largest diameter light it states 20W/24W/36W)

The LIVE (BROWN) and NEUTRAL (BLUE) wires on this new light are tiny (2 x 0.5mm2) compared to the existing wire LIVE (RED), BLACK (NEUTRAL) and GREEN/YELLOW (EARTH) in the ceiling. I've looked at my fuse box in the house for lights and it has a 5A fuse.

The instructions are very basic but show the light being simply spliced together using a wire nut.

Question, is it ok to simply twist these two different sized wires together and pop a wire nut over the top? or is there a better way of joining two different sized wires.

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
FYI: Address profile: 83 DUCIE STREET, MANCHESTER, UNITED KINGDOM, M1 2JQ. There are 97 companies at this address.
Proceed with caution...

I personally wouldn't use a wire nut as it is not possible to see how well the connection has been made. If this is anything like another recent post on here about a similar company the 'wire nut' may actually be a crimp. A suitable Wago connector might be more appropriate. And be very careful to maintain the class 2 properties while wiring (if it is marked as such). It either has to be marked class 2 or have an earth wire.

Thanks for the warning.

No class 2 warning on it. Only warns 'Warning, Danger of electric shock' and 'use a professional to install'..... no comment needed i guess

Just wanted to confirm that you can join this 2 x 0.5mm2 to a bigger mains wire...... wago connector i've seen and do look better than wire nut

Maybe one for the bin at buy another from a known UK store.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-04 174208.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-04 174208.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot 2023-01-04 174355.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-04 174355.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot 2023-01-04 174418.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-04 174418.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 63
Proceed with caution...
Oh dear, sounds a bit like this direct from China supplier we saw recently (Coobuy, also Manchester based):
Reviews aren't great either - and that's including all the fake positive reviews:
At least this fitting has instructions with it (for what they are worth :( )

EDIT
...the website registrant is "domainsbyproxy" - a company that obfuscates the website true owner's - not something to fulfill anyone with confidence.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it's all plastic with no exposed metal, then, looking at your picture, the joint will be in the ceiling and in reality it should be safe enough. With the joint in the ceiling you need an enclosure for the connector. Others with more recent experience may be able to recommend a specific product. In practice the wire size should not be an issue as the current drawn is not likely to be very high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back