Joining work tops back to back

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
I ve got 2 kitchen base units back to back as an island in my workshop. I am fitting 2 work tops back to back on top of the units. I am going to use biscuits and work top bolts underneath to pull the join together as is usually done.

The problem I have is routing a straight edge so the join is tight. It's ok vertically but there's a slight gap which I doubt the clamps will pull together.

The join length is 1.5 metres long. I ve used a long spirit level a a straight edge to guide the router rolling it over so if there's and bowing it should match. Basically I think I need a better straight edge.

Any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
I think youv'e got it ,a lot of levels have a bow in them because of the cut outs for the vials ,they will probably bend in the middle when you push the router onto them , and the more cuts you do, the blunter the cutter will be, the harder you will push bending the level more, you will be lucky to get one length done before the cutter has had it also if the router base is not concentric with the cutter every time you change position the distance from the straight edge will change,not all routers are made perfect ! ,try a 8"rip of a sheet of any thing thats straight they do vary check out conti board shelving no less than 8"-10" shelves,work top filler is very useful all coloures are available watch out it goes of quick

why not make a feature out of the problem?
instead of trying to get a spot on join between the worktops why not install say a length of hardwood between the 2 worktops.
also using the correct colored filler job should look very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back