Jury-rigging a spur on a 3-pin plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apart from that it looks pretty messy, is there an inherent problem with putting a simple spur in, that plugs into an existing socket with a 3-pin plug? Basically a glorified extension lead, not wiring your whole house - say for some Christmas lights or something where you want to leave the wiring in place but not connected most of the year?

Sponsored Links
Twin and earth cable is not suitable for connecting to a plug.

Why not use a proper extension lead?

Wasn't so much the cable type I was thinking about, I'm happy to butcher an extension lead or use some flex-cable.
But if the cables will be left in place I want them tidied away e.g. cable clips or conduits. Dangling loops of cable is fine for a couple of weeks at Xmas, but I want this set up and left in place all nice and tidy. There would be a few lights so I'd need waterproof boxes for junctions, all nicely screwed in place.

But I don't want it permanently wired up so I wondered if it's on a plug, does it just count as an extension even if I have a couple of wired joints?

Wasn't so much the cable type I was thinking about, I'm happy to butcher an extension lead or use some flex-cable. ... But if the cables will be left in place I want them tidied away e.g. cable clips or conduits. Dangling loops of cable is fine for a couple of weeks at Xmas, but I want this set up and left in place all nice and tidy. There would be a few lights so I'd need waterproof boxes for junctions, all nicely screwed in place. ... But I don't want it permanently wired up so I wondered if it's on a plug, does it just count as an extension even if I have a couple of wired joints?
Provided you used flexible cable of a suitable size, there's no inherent problem with what you suggest, but I don;t really understand what you're trying to achieve ...

... what sort of socket do you intend to use, and is it going to be 'fixed' (to a wall/whatever). If it is suitable, and to be fixed, then what would be the problem of it being permanently 'connected', just like any other spurred socket?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Firstly, I've already got outside sockets. Secondly I'm concerned that if I 'hard-wire' it, it might technically be notifiable so I wondered if there was a distinction here - if there isn't then as you suggest it makes little difference except having a way to isolate it totally.

Firstly, I've already got outside sockets. Secondly I'm concerned that if I 'hard-wire' it, it might technically be notifiable so I wondered if there was a distinction here - if there isn't then as you suggest it makes little difference except having a way to isolate it totally.
Ah, you didn't mention that it was 'outside', although I should have noticed your reference to 'waterproof boxes'.

So, I see no problem with what you want to do - but you'll presumably have to find some 'waterproof' place to house the plug when not in use?

Kind Regards, John

Secondly I'm concerned that if I 'hard-wire' it, it might technically be notifiable so I wondered if there was a distinction here

Where are you located? In England, notification is not required even for outside electrics for additions to or extensions existing circuits. (Except in bathrooms, etc)
So you can hardwire it, if you wish.

Ah, you didn't mention that it was 'outside', although I should have noticed your reference to 'waterproof boxes'.

So, I see no problem with what you want to do - but you'll presumably have to find some 'waterproof' place to house the plug when not in use?

Kind Regards, John

Simply coil the trailing lead up from the socket end and house the plug into the waterproof socket with the lid closed then unwind it to 'plug in the extension'.

If it's of any help I have 4 outside sockets which terminate on 13A plugs in a cupboard alongside 8 13A sockets of which 4 are permanently powered and the others are 2 each on a 2 channel time switch. At Christmas [also blue lights for NHS earlier this year]they are plugged into the time switch.
They are wired with T&E [actually FP200 as I had a load of reel ends] with flex ends for the 13A plugs.

I have an outside waterproof socket on the wall at the front of my house. I use it for Christmas lights as well as my pressure washer when I’m washing the drive or car. It’s fed from a switched spur on the wall of the lounge so that we can switch it off from indoors when not needed. The spur is part of the downstairs ring main.

Yes, but you queried Winston saying T&E is not suitable for a plug and then wrote:
I don't think there's much of a physical problem in connecting T+E (certainly 1.5mm², probably 2.5mm²) to a plug (I've certainly done it in my time) but think the bigger issue is that T+E is not really designed to be 'moved about' when in service, so I imagine that would be at least a theoretical risk of a conductor fracture if it were moved about/flexed too much. Having said that, one imagines that, in the sort of situations the OP mentioned, such movement/handling would probably be fairly minimal.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back