Jury-rigging a spur on a 3-pin plug

Outside the rear of my workshop is a parking space. Old bangers can be parked up for a while and sometimes need a jump start with the battery booster. I have an outside socket fed by a 2' piece of 2.5mm t&e going through the wall that I have a plug fitted to. When I need to use that socket, I just plug it into a socket inside the workshop.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like this is fairly common then, I feel less dodgy doing it :)

Yes, but you queried Winston saying T&E is not suitable for a plug and then wrote:
Quite so and I have terminated T&E into 13A plugs on a very frequent basis but not all the time:cautious: [I do quite a lot of temporary work]

Sponsored Links
In my experience if you are going to put a plug on T&E the most basic plugs are best. Those with a simple traditional cord grip and removable pins/terminals. At least for 2.5mm T&E you want to be able to form and terminate the wires before inserting them into the plug

In my experience if you are going to put a plug on T&E the most basic plugs are best. Those with a simple traditional cord grip and removable pins/terminals. At least for 2.5mm T&E you want to be able to form and terminate the wires before inserting them into the plug
I'm not going to say how many years it was before I even realised you COULD remove the pins. So many plugs as a young guy, spent struggling to bend the stupid wire and get it in place :)

I'm not going to say how many years it was before I even realised you COULD remove the pins. So many plugs as a young guy, spent struggling to bend the stupid wire and get it in place :)
If one thinks back far enough, I'm not at all sure that many of them were removable. However, in recent decades, have you not had the experience of at least the N and E pins actually falling out when you have 'turned it over' with the cover off? - that's how, very many years ago, I discovered that they could be removed!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back