Just a simple query.

Sponsored Links
I guess nicknamed curfew because they think that everyone will go home with nothing to do from 10pm onwards. But no, not strictly a 'curfew' by definition.

Sponsored Links
During the Napoleonic wars, Wellington's encamped army were ordered to cover their fires at dusk, to make it more difficult for observers to count and calculate the number of soldiers.

The French for "cover fire" being "couvre-feu" was inaccurately adopted by the English who were mostly, as today, uneducated in foreign languages.

I am not sure if this is supposed to contradict me or not, but

Curfew | Definition of Curfew by Merriam-Webster: the sounding of a bell at evening. 2a : a regulation enjoining the withdrawal of usually specified persons (such as juveniles or military personnel) from the streets or the closing of business establishments or places of assembly at a stated hour The city ordered a curfew to prevent further rioting.

Anyway it's American and therefore dubious.

Try an English one:

upload_2020-9-25_14-7-30.png

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/curfew

You are many times safer outside, than being cooped up with others.
Which is why the decision to stop any limited crowds at outdoor sports events but still keep the pubs open (even with restricted hours) is rather an odd one :unsure:

Which is why the decision to stop any limited crowds at outdoor sports events but still keep the pubs open (even with restricted hours) is rather an odd one :unsure:

Totally agree, alcohol even in moderation, does not lead to sensible decisions.

I am not sure if this is supposed to contradict me
I certainly wasn’t trying to contradict you! Your question reminded me that many many years ago, there was a member here who would post answers to questions so quickly that I began to think that he was a walking encyclopaedia. It was only later when 2 almost identical replies to the same question appeared that I found out that the walking encyclopaedia had almost in every case accessed the net for the information for his posts. That said, he was particularly clever on legal matters and although he was a most prolific poster, I can’t for the life of me remember his user name.

I’m sorry if my reply came over as a contradiction, that was not my intention.

Ringing the bell for closing time at 10.00pm means rush hour at the kebab house at 10.15pm

I certainly wasn’t trying to contradict you! Your question reminded me that many many years ago, there was a member here who would post answers to questions so quickly that I began to think that he was a walking encyclopaedia. It was only later when 2 almost identical replies to the same question appeared that I found out that the walking encyclopaedia had almost in every case accessed the net for the information for his posts. That said, he was particularly clever on legal matters and although he was a most prolific poster, I can’t for the life of me remember his user name.

I’m sorry if my reply came over as a contradiction, that was not my intention.

a rather philosophical ponder.....but I wonder if in the future we will all just keep no information in our brain as we will all walk around with an emedded chip connected to the internet via 8g.

not that theres much in mine now :ROFLMAO:

Ringing the bell for closing time at 10.00pm means rush hour at the kebab house at 10.15pm
does it? :eek: some live such fulfilled existences.
you’ll be moaning again that the nhs isn’t getting enough money to treat your bowel and liver disease.

But they are supposed to wear their masks for that.... ! At least I think so - the rules keep changing :)

Chucking everyone on the street at the same time will be like the good ol days. Nearly riots every weekend.
I bet the police are over the moon.

Sponsored Links
Back