Just looking for a bit of advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

Just hoping to get some advice from some fellow RGI's

Just wondering about the following

I have just applied for British Gas as a service fitter and am wondering how long it takes for the manager to contact you regarding the application?

I have been corgi reg since november last year and have been servicing/issuing cp12's for a small company ever since. I also have the following tickets, CCN1, CEN1, WAT1, HTR1, CKR1, ENERGY EFFICIENCY, NVQ 2 GAS INSTALLATION and CODNCO1. Are these tickets enough to get me into British Gas?

thanks for reading this and i appreciate any replies

Sponsored Links
I doubt if its the certificates which make much difference but I would have thought your competence and experience would be the important thing.

Tony

If you applied online,it may take a while,as it did for me,but i had probems with their web page not letting me access my application,to finish it off.
They sent me an email with a phone no to speak to someone,and get a paper form sent out,this was sent back,and about 7-10 days later recieved an email to book an interview the following week.
Anyway im starting for them as a Technical Engineer on March 19th,thats when their next induction is.
I would see if you can talk to someone,as if it can all be organised on time,interview etc,you may be able to get on that one.
Ill see if i can find the phone no of their HR dept if you like?

Garfeild said:
If you applied online,it may take a while,as it did for me,but i had probems with their web page not letting me access my application,to finish it off.
They sent me an email with a phone no to speak to someone,and get a paper form sent out,this was sent back,and about 7-10 days later recieved an email to book an interview the following week.
Anyway im starting for them as a Technical Engineer on March 19th,thats when their next induction is.
I would see if you can talk to someone,as if it can all be organised on time,interview etc,you may be able to get on that one.
Ill see if i can find the phone no of their HR dept if you like?

thanks for that garfied. full apologies for asking a personal question, but what sort of experiance do you have? and what was the interview like?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I have about 25 years in the industry,and have current CCN1 CKR1 HRT1 CEN1 unvented,energy efficiency.Been Corgi for 5 years.I also have the old City and Guilds in plumbing.
So i dont have as many quals as you,but may possibly have been at it longer?

The interview wasnt too bad,i had to sit a little test first,read up on ventilation etc etc (viper book) before you go.Questions like "give us an example of when you rectified a dangerous situation in someones property"

If you pass that you will recieve a call later that day to let you know,then to go for a practical assessment,in a training bay with boiler cooker fire etc,like when you did your ACS,assessor asking questions as you work,none too difficult but which you really should know anyway.

I got a phone call and an email about a week later offering me the job.

WOW, sounds intense.

Surely the process wouldn't be that intense for the position of Service fitter?

From reading the Job descripption for Technical Engineer it sounds as though your position needs more experiance and knowledge than a lowly bottom of the rung service fitter.

I dont know if/how the process would differ,the assessor told me that they werent trying to catch me out,they just wanted to know what i knew.

If you do get an interview, i would certainly read up a bit before you go,it wont hurt.

If they give you a van, check the handbrake works properly. A BG van rolled past our house yesterday. Nobody inside it. :eek:

Tony has a vast experience of electronics which is becoming invaluable with modern appliances.

He appears to have a successful business which can only be achieved through honesty and hard work.

I can only say...strive for reliability, honesty and take what you can from BG.

Take it from there.

David

Hey David - I ate you for breakfast this morning!!

You were supposed to be crisp, but I forgot it till last thing...

Crafty - I know a few gas guys (and others) who still don't put the h'brake on...

However, if you sneak a peak inside their vans, there's a label telling you to park with your wheels turned in, leave it in gear & put the h'brake on.

Naughty, naughty! Guess his managers will be none too chuffed!

Roll up your left trouser leg and give the interviewer a funny handshake ....ONLY way into BG ;)

Sponsored Links
Back