Just moved into new house with Drayton RF SCR... errrm!

I know how to use the multimeter, the basics of what to do and what not to do... I don't know which terminals to test on unfortunately.

Thankfully help is at hand... And I am being extremely cautious while investigating. Will be back with the multimeter results later

Sponsored Links
Righty then... after the multimeter testing, the timer is DEFINITELY faulty. Which is also what the Worcester guy said... sooo... I've decided to plump for a new digital thermostat, in the form of the RF701.

Now, this will completely over-ride the timer, and therefore despite it being faulty, I can set it to always on with the switches and the 7 day programmable thermostat will take over.

I'm guessing that the SCR will have to be wired slightly differently (more akin to how it was previously) as the way it was before had the thermostat completely overriding the timer, which is how it should be with a programmable stat, is that right?

Before I order one... will the RF701 be compatible with the current SCR I have?

I'm sure it will be okay, as all it sends is an on and off signal, but wanted to check first.

Also, how will I have to alter the wiring from its current positions?

Many thanks, the trauma is nearly over! :)

Now, this will completely over-ride the timer, and therefore despite it being faulty, I can set it to always on with the switches and the 7 day programmable thermostat will take over.
You could try disconnecting the MT10, but leaving in place.

I'm guessing that the SCR will have to be wired slightly differently (more akin to how it was previously) as the way it was before had the thermostat completely overriding the timer, which is how it should be with a programmable stat, is that right?
There's no need to alter the SCR wiring.

Before I order one... will the RF701 be compatible with the current SCR I have?
If SCR is a current model, it will be compatible. But you will have to "commission" them, so the two components talk to each other. It's explained in the Instructions Manual.

Okay then... I'll try those things, and see how it goes.

Sorry, I've got another question, and then I'll leave you alone :D

If I was to sack the whole Drayton system, and instead go for a honeywell RF thermostat and receiver, would I need to do more than simply wire the new receiver and its backplate in the place of the Drayton one? Or would I need to do anything to any other part of the boiler?

If it's more complicated than simply replacing the drayton, I'll just get the rf701. Otherwise, I've heard bad things about it, and would rather get the honeywell system I think.

Can't thank you enough for all the time and effort you've handed to me... I'd rather do these things myself, just so I know what to say to an engineer should I have to call one out.

Thanks again! :)

Sponsored Links
If I was to sack the whole Drayton system, and instead go for a honeywell RF thermostat and receiver, would I need to do more than simply wire the new receiver and its backplate in the place of the Drayton one? Or would I need to do anything to any other part of the boiler?
The Honeywell is the better choice, but I hadn't suggested it as it's your money.

The wiring will be:

Brown to L
Blue to N
Red to A
Black to B

C is not used. Do NOT link L to A.

Nothing to change at the boiler.

Awesome!! :) I'd rather get the Honeywell... it's had much better reviews, and looks nicer too.

That's it from me... yet again, this place is brilliant, a great asset! Can't say thanks enough!

:D

Hello... it's me again!

I've finally got the honeywell CMT927 and it's all wired up as you suggested, but now I have some other issues, if you wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction?

The boiler won't fire at all.

Even when putting the timer switch to ON it still won't fire.

I tried to run the thermostat without the timer at all too, and this doesn't appear to do anything either.

Any suggestions I could try?

Thanks in advance!

(Oh, there is definitely communication between the relay and the thermostat, so there is communication, but the over-ride button on the relay doesn't work either (but assume this is the same as the drayton, and will only work if the thermostat is faulty?)

PS. Just tried the override button when the thermostat has its batteries out, and it does fire the boiler. Just need it to do this via the thermostat! :)

Apologies... I THINK i have it sorted! Had to bind the relay with the thermostat (which it told me I didn't have to do... but nevermind!) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back