Just realised my heating only comes on with hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Since moving in last week we’ve just had heating & hot water on constant. Went to swap the Drayton lp722 for my hive unit when I figured the hot water can come on independently, but heating only works with HW.

Looking at the pipework, I can only see 1 2-port valve. This is run from a kingfisher 2 boiler, not sure on the wiring plan but could be W. Really need to get this sorted

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Even the Drayton does the same thing. I need to get this changed around so can control each separately

Last edited:
are the pipes from you boiler to your cylinder in 28mm if so you have gravity HW and you will need to convert to fully pumped if you want independent controls

Sponsored Links
are the pipes from you boiler to your cylinder in 28mm if so you have gravity HW and you will need to convert to fully pumped if you want independent controls

I will check when I’m back home and take some pictures. Is it a big job to convert?

Went to swap the Drayton lp722 for my hive unit when I figured the hot water can come on independently, but heating only works with HW.

Looking at the pipework, I can only see 1 2-port valve.
You probably have a gravity hot water/pumped heating system configured as a C Plan, which requires a single 2-port motorised valve. Check how many wires are connected to the valve. if there are six, and all wires are is in use, it will be a C Plan.

switch the HW on by itself and feel the pimp to see if it is running, if it is running on HW only you have fully pumped if the pump isn't running but the boiler is you have gravity HW, cant really comment how big a job it would be to convert as haven't seen the system

The part number on the valve shows that you do not have a C-plan; but you may still have a pumped heating/gravity hot water system. It's difficult to check, but the valve may be on the heating circuit so it prevents flow through the rads when the room is up to temperature.

Incidentally, the pump has not been installed correctly. The shaft should be parallel to the floor, not sticking up at 45 degrees which will cause wear on the bearings.

The part number on the valve shows that you do not have a C-plan; but you may still have a pumped heating/gravity hot water system. It's difficult to check, but the valve may be on the heating circuit so it prevents flow through the rads when the room is up to temperature.

Incidentally, the pump has not been installed correctly. The shaft should be parallel to the floor, not sticking up at 45 degrees which will cause wear on the bearings.

https://www.honeywelluk.com/Documents/All/pdf/930.pdf

The above document states it's the correct valve. I'll get pump sorted when this is converted to S plan and a new filter fitted while it's been drained

There are more than one version of the V4043 valve. You have the V4043H1056, which is OK for S Plans; the C-Plan requires the V4043H1106. The difference is that the 1056 version has a one-way microswitch, while the 1106 has a two-way microswitch. Here are the wiring diagrams for a C-Plan and an S-Plan, and the layout of a C-Plan:

full
full

full

There are more than one version of the V4043 valve. You have the V4043H1056, which is OK for S Plans; the C-Plan requires the V4043H1106. The difference is that the 1056 version has a one-way microswitch, while the 1106 has a two-way microswitch. Here are the wiring diagrams for a C-Plan and an S-Plan, and the layout of a C-Plan:

full
full

full

Thanks for this. What would be the best course of action to get independent control and turn into a S plan? Guess I would need another valve of the the same and rewiring correctly with a cyclinder stat, which I don’t currently have. Guess this is why I’m using around £9/day in gas

Last edited:
Unless someone has fitted incorrect valve. Circuit to cylinder is in 28mm while heating circuit is 22mm

Last edited:
Unless someone has fitted incorrect valve. Circuit to cylinder is in 28mm while heating circuit is 22mm
If the valve is in the HW return, as in the piping diagram, it's the wrong one; but if it's in the radiator circuit it's OK. It's just controlling the flow through the rads.

A diagram, showing all the piping around the boiler and HW cylinder, would help.

How many water pipes connect to the boiler?

If the valve is in the HW return, as in the piping diagram, it's the wrong one; but if it's in the radiator circuit it's OK. It's just controlling the flow through the rads.

A diagram, showing all the piping around the boiler and HW cylinder, would help.

How many water pipes connect to the boiler?
Valve looks to be in the CH pipe not HW.

There seems to be about 5 or 6 pipes coming from the boiler to that cupboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back