Kenwood fridge, problem with warning buzzer

Sponsored Links
It was a while ago and I can't climb ladders to look at it, but I think the grey plastic panel on the top of the fridge door was prised out. Same on the fridge, I think.

Sorted , was much easier than expected. Two broken wires at hinge , strange thing was the cable which sits in a tray had heavy protection while at the hinge, nothing .

Attachments

• 0C79192E-45AB-40F8-8958-1F15470E1D6D.jpeg
    0C79192E-45AB-40F8-8958-1F15470E1D6D.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 570
  • 1056FF79-A4D3-4464-A860-A32D073FE073.jpeg
    1056FF79-A4D3-4464-A860-A32D073FE073.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 558
Got the same problem back again!
EU law provides that all products must be sold with a 2 year warranty, but can I persuade the Currys call centre chickens this?
My "complaint" has been posted off to their SOGA team....
Quite why they can't accept their responsibilities, I don't know.
In fact, if the fault occurs after six months and you can prove that the problem was down to a fault or issue at the manufacturer, as opposed to wear and tear or misuse, you have redress for 6 years from the purchase date.

I think the fact they have already replaced one wiring loom goes a long way to prove that it is not fit for purpose or that there is a design fault.

Sponsored Links
Right, OK.
If anyone has one of these Kenwood fridge from Currys

KTLD 60X15

Other colours are (or at least were) available.

and the display on the door does strange things or the buzzer sounds when it shouldn't or the interior light stays off with the door open,

and your purchase date is less than 6 years from when the fault developed (even if it is a repeat fault), then get in touch with Currys and explain the problem.

They may fob you off with "very sorry it's out of warranty". If bought after 1 October 2015, explain that The Consumer Rights Act 2015 applies and quote the following:

The CRA 2015 says that consumers are entitled to a repair or replacement or refund where goods are faulty.

If the fault occurs after six months, the consumer has to prove that the problem was down to a fault or issue at the manufacturer, as opposed to wear and tear or misuse.

The Statutes of Limitations mean that consumers have this right for six years in England (or 5 in Scotland).

In the case of this fridge, it has been established that the breakdown is due to poor design: they are on the third design of wiring loom. So you cannot lose!

Thought I'd post this - same issue with my KFC60SS15 70/30 Fridge Freezer 5 months in.

Currys sent WeRepair round, the chap already came with the replacement part as he said it's very common. He mentioned it's common and that the replacement part wears down too.

I saw how the repair chap opened the top to get access so since wearing is the issue I wrapped some extra electrical tape over the area that wears and covered that with gorilla tape. That should really help with the wear. I'll check it in 3 months to see how warn it is and what's actually causing the wear to see if any lubricant or extra tape will help. Hopefully that'll hold it on for a while longer when it's well out of warranty. But it will need like an annual check by me to see the wear, which isn't ideal.

The other solution is to just remove the front panel before the wear happens. I removed the display power source from the fridge's motherboard in the back unit. Was forced to when it was just stuck beeping as the fridge is in my livingroom/kitchen. Was driving me mad! Even tried noise cancelling headphones to keep my sanity to no avail.

It's exactly the same type of connectors computer fans use on motherboard cases. That way the beeping stopped when it was frayed and the fridge still maintained the correct temperature that had already been set. I confirmed this with a fridge thermometer.

The repair chap mentioned on some units it interferes with the cooling - I believe that could be dependent on the bundle of 4 internal cables that wears first. But as long as you set the temp and disconnect the front display from the motherboard then it'll maintain whatever temp you had it on.

Again not ideal - you can't then vary the temp, use holiday mode or have an alarm. But better than a broken fridge.

Shocked at Kenwood's level of service here with a clear design flaw. Won't ever purchase anything from them again. I'll also stick to John Lewis and Amazon from now.

Hope this helps someone!

Bloody hell!

My fridge has gone again. The Customer "Care" guys are programmed to tell you that your product only has 12 months warranty, but when I persisted with the Consumer Rights Act, he admitted I had 6 years.
I'm waiting for an appointment to fix it. Again.
WTF??!!!

It seems Currys have ducked the repair.
Letter below.
Comments welcome!

IMG_20190903_213117.jpg

Hi all ..
I too have the same problem with the same fridge ..
18 months old purchased in curry’s, it had the wiring replaced 12 months ago and now fault is happening again.
Curry say it’s out of warranty, kenwood say it’s curry problem.. starting to pull my hair out.
Can anyone please tell me if they had any joy having the fridge repaired or replaced after the first 12 months.
Many thanks

Hi all
Iv had this dreaded wiring loom issue with the kenwood fridge purchased from currys.

It's been repaired twice already when under warranty and it's broken again three months out of warranty.

Your experiences would be appreciated

Many thanks

Currys belive it is acceptable to offer £156 refund for a fridge that cost £370. So basically I have rented a fridge for 15 months for £214.

Has anybody had better luck with currys? I was thinking of going down the small claims court route but wasn't sure if I would have luck.

Keep fighting.

State your case.

I negotiated with them on the phone for a much better offer. In the end, they gave me very nearly all of the money back and I kept the fridge. I argued that, in keeping the fridge, it would need regular repairs to this known fault, which I would have to pay for.

I also got them to refund the card, rather than give me vouchers.

Read the Consumer Rights Act, 2015 and know exactly what you are entitled to before you call. Be firm and you should get an improved offer.

The crazy thing is, this is a really good fridge. Apart from that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back