Keston 170 replacement suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Think i have one of those in the workshop.
At £800 so do I. £240 here (reconditioned) and I am up £560 http://www.adlink.co.uk/keston-130-170-260-340k-130k-170-boiler-blower-fan-b17301000 .

This is www.diynot.com . So, in that spirit: this is a really good example of what I fight against. Namely, buying a boiler to be more efficient and then destroying the economic and environmental gains by throwing it away because someone sucks their teeth when they see it (actually, hear about it).

I live in London and just the _labour_ of swapping out would probably cover the £800 fan, let alone the £240 one. These things basically have two components: the fan (replaceable, as just proven) and the heat exchanger. Then there are a bunch of sensors and a relay, a CU and a lighter. The sensors do need replacing from time to time but every time I do it I know that almost any pro (there are honourable exceptions) would tell me to junk the whole boiler. The CU I admit might provide a problem; I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

But the HE, properly maintained and treated, seems to last forever. So there is no scrapping fault the boiler can throw. I admit, HE failure _would_ probably be terminal now. I sourced one in 2009 or so but I doubt I can do so again. I have a history there: my first one burnt due to installer error (clogged strainer) and Keston swapped it out but with what turned out to be a dodgy one. Was out of spec on the manometer pretty well immediately and started failing to light due to too-low venturi measurement. As I said, I swapped it out nearly ten years ago for a proper one and that has been in spec and stable ever since; no sign of eventual failure.

So, the upshot of bumping this thread is that the fans are available at reasonable cost and in my case at least I withdraw the question of what I might eventually have to replace my Keston 170 with: it is not imminent. Hah: jinx.

From a professionals point of view, these boilers are utter turds. When we work on them we have to consider the risks of further problems and the availability of spares when the customer is on the phone because the POS has failed again. Homeowners have an uncanny knack of thinking they are the centre of the universe and their point of view is the only one.

You can say it is a simple appliance, which is it. But sometimes on these schitboxes, faults manifest that share symptoms with others and working out which is which is not always straightforward.

Sponsored Links
At £800 so do I. £240 here (reconditioned) and I am up £560 http://www.adlink.co.uk/keston-130-170-260-340k-130k-170-boiler-blower-fan-b17301000 .

This is www.diynot.com . So, in that spirit: this is a really good example of what I fight against. Namely, buying a boiler to be more efficient and then destroying the economic and environmental gains by throwing it away because someone sucks their teeth when they see it (actually, hear about it).

I live in London and just the _labour_ of swapping out would probably cover the £800 fan, let alone the £240 one. These things basically have two components: the fan (replaceable, as just proven) and the heat exchanger. Then there are a bunch of sensors and a relay, a CU and a lighter. The sensors do need replacing from time to time but every time I do it I know that almost any pro (there are honourable exceptions) would tell me to junk the whole boiler. The CU I admit might provide a problem; I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

But the HE, properly maintained and treated, seems to last forever. So there is no scrapping fault the boiler can throw. I admit, HE failure _would_ probably be terminal now. I sourced one in 2009 or so but I doubt I can do so again. I have a history there: my first one burnt due to installer error (clogged strainer) and Keston swapped it out but with what turned out to be a dodgy one. Was out of spec on the manometer pretty well immediately and started failing to light due to too-low venturi measurement. As I said, I swapped it out nearly ten years ago for a proper one and that has been in spec and stable ever since; no sign of eventual failure.

So, the upshot of bumping this thread is that the fans are available at reasonable cost and in my case at least I withdraw the question of what I might eventually have to replace my Keston 170 with: it is not imminent. Hah: jinx.

You see one boiler and think you're and expert..you know nothing about these boilers.

Client asks for advise on what to replace a Keston 170 with.

Along comes Polly to advise of fitting a hooky fan....

Personally..... I'd have a brace of 24kw boilers fitted. Property of that size is likely to have many times with large number of guests.... A brace of boilers = you'll never have total failure should 1 shut down for a reason.

1 appliance working alone to achieve bulk of demand and another waiting to assist when needed

The single boiler the grafting to get the job done and means it'll be running efficiently.

But the above.... Like lots in life the the correct solution......And. Like so many clients with a large home... They've got a desperate affliction to spending money on the correct solution..... In which case... Just go on the Worcester boilers website and get a **** to chuck in a 40cdi classic.

Hope this helps.

Client asks for advise on what to replace a Keston 170 with.

Along comes Polly to advise of fitting a hooky fan....

Personally..... I'd have a brace of 24kw boilers fitted. Property of that size is likely to have many times with large number of guests.... A brace of boilers = you'll never have total failure should 1 shut down for a reason.

1 appliance working alone to achieve bulk of demand and another waiting to assist when needed

The single boiler the grafting to get the job done and means it'll be running efficiently.

But the above.... Like lots in life the the correct solution......And. Like so many clients with a large home... They've got a desperate affliction to spending money on the correct solution..... In which case... Just go on the Worcester boilers website and get a **** to chuck in a 40cdi classic.

Hope this helps.
Certainly helps and is responsive to the original question. Thank you. Unlike the one above. You learn a lot keeping a "POS" running 20 years that everyone hates on so badly. I'm off.

Hey guys I’m back. Boiler still going aok, and still takes five or six attempts to fire up. Starts quicker in winter I expect because it’s coming on more often.

While I’m seriously considering replacing it in The next twelve months (I’m building an extension to the house), how do I go about finding an engineer to give my trusty 170 a service and very possibly try and deal with the start up issue?

Many thx

Only a complete muppet would consider wasting their time looking at your boiler when there's easier money to be earned.
The last time I touched one was 10 years...everything was seized up, burner bolts seized, test points seized etc.

Ok thanks for that.

Actually my boiler looks as good as the day it was commissioned.

I very much doubt it...you can't possibly know how clogged up the heat exchanger is or how corroded those burner bolts are.

I very much doubt it...you can't possibly know how clogged up the heat exchanger is or how corroded those burner bolts are.

yes I am sure of that. I suppose I was being flippant, which is unlike me.

The bottom line is these boilers are the worse thing in the world, we all know it. I have been lucky in mine, with its rebuild ten years ago (everything changed), has stood the test of time, with the exception of a 5 to 10 attempts to start "thing" going on.

I am planning an extension to the house and expect I will incorporate a brand new boiler, possibly biomass as well, in with it all.

So far the boilers I seem to be reading as ok to good :

Worcester - ok ish
Viessmann - good
Valliant - good

do I have that right?

I am also considering putting two boilers side by side to ensure I have a backup should one fail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back