Kitchen cupboard lighting - earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - i just found an unused kitchen strip light ( small one for under the cabinets)

Ive decided to use it in my shed so wired It into a plug however there is no earth cable -
Is it safe to use? ( obviously not leaving it on when not in shed etc.... )

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi - i just found an unused kitchen strip light ( small one for under the cabinets)
Ive decided to use it in my shed so wired It into a plug however there is no earth cable -
It is probably double insulated so a CPC (earth wire) is not necessary and should not be connected.
To be sure check the fitting for the D.I. symbol.

Double-Insulated.jpg

No earth/CPC cable or no earth terminal at the fitting?
Some light are class II double insulated and a requirement is not to be earthed
Is it safe to use? ( obviously not leaving it on when not in shed etc.... )
Would depend on whether it requires an earth or not, so you are looking for the Class II/double insulated square with square symbol (no CPC required) or the earthing symbol or earth terminal on fitting.

Which then it requires an earth/CPC

I was taking it that the OP had connected a plug to the flex which came with the fitting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back