Kitchen Fitting - Corner Wall Unit Question... (Pics inc)

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the walls are out of square and you got a gap on one side of the unit?

Is there any overhang on the back of the unit to trim it back?

Can you not chop out the plaster carefully and chop it in?

I've fitted many kitchen units and it's rare to find a square walls!

Sponsored Links
f-t-b, i live in a timber framed house and will be completely gutting and re-fitting a new kitchen shortly, i dread to think what i may come across. However, i digress, back to your problem.
What i did when i had this issue in my other house, was to buy a bigger end panel (your brown panel) to replace what you have, obviously flush it with the front of the cab, but then cut the back according to the out-of-fit wall. So all it would cost is the price of a new end panel.
The other way you could do it, is flush the brown unit to the wall then batton (with packers/wedges) along the longer wall where you will have the 800 unit joining on. This is only worth doing though if the run of units ends at the other wall otherwise you'll have the same issue at the other end if you see what i mean.
BUT, i'd much prefer to buy a new end panel and cut to size.

For the corner with the pipes, yeah i'd do pretty much the same corner unit, just cut a bit out for the pipes. If you're gonna tile the wall between cabs and worktop, then just box in the pipe and tile that too. Mine looked ok once i'd done it.

so did my idea of buying a bigger end panel fall on deaf ears then?
Easiest solution imho. And if you were on about special fixings, then they'd easily equal the price of a new end panel. :confused:

You can expect the boards to be 12.5mm thick and with skim on it at least another 3mm on top.

Dude, not to sound like a dog with a bone, but if you have the same style floor units as you do wall, and i'm sure you do then you almost certainly CAN get a bigger end panel.....one for an end floor unit! Higher and wider, which is what you want so you can cut the back edge off.
It would then be very easy to profile the back edge to the line of the wall. Sure you'd have to re-create the screw holes etc, but is that a big deal comared to your other options? You cold always just add on new profiled end panel onto the existing one by screwing it onto it from the inside of the unit.
Just trying to help as i did have this problem with my floor unit. I opted for the extra board screwed onto the existing to avoid redoing all the holes, i was happy with it.

a complete nightmare as when you go to put in the metal plasterboard fixings, they just fall away as the wall must of been filled in that many times.

I think the kitchen must have been replastered due to a fire or something in the past. Stuck for ideas now for fixing the remainder of the units.
Cut out a section of plasterboard where the wall units is going leaving approx 25mm round the edge and replace it with plywood to the same thickness of the plasterboard and screw it to the timber studs then your wall units onto the plywood

Maybe this may seem tooo late for you now, but you can make a stud wall frame, all the way in the room, plumb off course, cover it with plywood ALL the way round the room, and after that put the plasterboard in place !so u will have at least plumb walls ! Never mind the electrics and pipes now :)
This concept is also used for fitting bathrooms !
This is a common mistake, people forget that the appliances will change in time , with new owners and new preferences !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back