Kitchen LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to replace my old under the unit lights ( bulbs 30w), with LEDs

Ive removed the units and chased out the original cable which is directly linked to the light switch on the wall and is 1.5mm.

I was going to place a socket above the units and use the same cable so as the lights can still be operated by the lights switch.

What type of socket should I fit. I dnt want to use plugged transformers but ones I can fit on top of the units and wire to the led and power source.

Any suggestions

Sponsored Links
Have you chosen the lights you wish to install, that could dictate the method used?
Why would you prefer a socket other than the switch or even a switched fused connection unit?

It would not be a good idea to use a standard 13A socket, if you were to go down the socket route, but instead use a 5A socket-outlet and a 5A plug.
There are 5A plugs that can be fused but there some that cannot.

Ive removed the units and chased out the original cable which is directly linked to the light switch on the wall and is 1.5mm.

I was going to place a socket above the units and use the same cable so as the lights can still be operated by the lights switch.
Probably there is no neutral in that cable, so you can't put a socket on it.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting

BAS is wrong. There should be a switched live , neutral and earth. I would use a 2amp plug and socket, smaller than a 5 amp. As presumably it is on the lighting circuit fused plugs are not required.

You don't use transformers for LEDs. Transformers give out AC. LEDs usually require DC and are run off special LED drivers.

Sponsored Links
As Prentice Boy says, choose your lights first. You might end up with one that has a wall-wart type "transformer" which plugs directly into a socket rather than having an in-line "transformer", in which case you'll need the socket.

PJ

Before we revert to Transformer Wars 3

The term "transformer" in the above responses has been used in its broadest sense (street talk, if you like).

ie: transformer - an electrical device by which alternating current of one voltage is changed to another voltage

Lets not complicate things by another in-depth session of pedantry. I thank you!

Winston.
HOW DARE YOU DO THAT
You have altered what I stated, that is out of order.!!!!
The purpose of the quote facility is to highlight what another poster has already stated. It is not acceptable to change what I wrote.

I am happy to debate, elsewhere, how things have changed since William Stanley in 1885, but PLEASE, don't bring your anachronistic stupidity into every thread that includes the T word.

What's a transformer with a rectifier which outputs DC called then winny?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back