Kitchen lights failing...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After years of trouble-free use, the row of three lights on my kitchen ceiling have started to act up.

One of the lights has a separate problem of one of the wire having come free from the "adaptor" into which the bulb is plugged - probably caused by the plastic hinge having loosened and allowing the light to drop. I know I'll have to reconnect this.

The main problem shows for both of the other two lights. When switched on they were extremely dim, before going out completely after 10 seconds or so. Given the time they've been in, I assumed that the bulbs simply needed replacing. However, having tried new and identical bulbs, the same dimness is there when I switch them on, with added flickering for extra annoyance.

Would the loose wire in the third light be the cause of the problem in the other two?

If my cluelessness is obvious from my rubbish description of the problem, I'll hope that a photo of the setup might help a clever person suggest were the problem lies. And if a better description of something would help, I'll try my best!

View media item 28324
The bulbs, old and replacement, all seem to be the identical 12V, 20W type.

Grateful for any help!

Sarah

Sponsored Links
surely, for the sake of 15 quid, it really isnt worth the the hassle ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

After years of trouble-free use, the row of three lights on my kitchen ceiling have started to act up.

One of the lights has a separate problem of one of the wire having come free from the "adaptor" into which the bulb is plugged - probably caused by the plastic hinge having loosened and allowing the light to drop. I know I'll have to reconnect this.

This might be the place to start.

The main problem shows for both of the other two lights. When switched on they were extremely dim, before going out completely after 10 seconds or so. Given the time they've been in, I assumed that the bulbs simply needed replacing. However, having tried new and identical bulbs, the same dimness is there when I switch them on, with added flickering for extra annoyance.
The assumption is that these lights are wired in parallel. If this is the case then the loose wire shouldn't make any difference to the other lights.

If they are wired in series then you may get the dim lights or no lights at all.

You will need to refix the loose wire - if this solves the problem - great.
If we assume the lighting unit is wired in parallel, then you will need to inspect the cables before and after the terminal block that contains the loose wires to ensure that none of them have come loose.

For normal parallel wired systems the lamp nearest to the power supply input will have a terminal block with switched live, neutral and earth. An additional wire(s) will run from the first terminal block to the second lamp (terminal block) SL to SL N to N and E to E and then onto the third.
The wires to the first lamp will connect to the switched live and neutral (the other side of the terminal block).

If none of the potentially 15 wiring joints are loose then we are into the testing phase and for that you will need a multi-meter.

If 2 lamps are working but dim, and then go off, the problem is likely the transformer contained inside the light fitting.
Perhaps it has failed, of those 2 remaining lamps are actually 50W types and overloading the transformer. Alternatively, it requires a certain minimum load to operate correctly, and the 2 lamps are not enough.

Although you could buy new lampholders and a new transformer, and somehow fix the broken surround together, and then remove the thing from the ceiling, rewire the whole lot and fix it back up there, a far easier option is to replace the fitting.

If you must have such a useless design of light in your kitchen, then Argos have a selection of cheap ones.

If you must have such a useless design of light in your kitchen, ...

Given that the lights provided years of illumination at the flick of a switch, I'd say they were among the most useful of designs! I'll admit that they were never the most beautiful lights, but I didn't get to pick them. :)

Many thanks to all for your advice. With the state of the lights as they are, I'll be getting a new fitting as soon as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back