Kitchen Wiring - FCU's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've just extended my kitchen and am doing the wiring myself (which is getting signed off by building control). I'm fitting integrated appliances and was wondering if someone could advise me on the best way to wire them (as i understand they need to be on switched FCU's). I've drawn a picture of the proposed wiring (below) but can someone tell me if either / both of these options conform to Part P?

KitchenWiring.gif

Thanks!

Craig

Sponsored Links
No difference from a Part-P standpoint - and you've notified LABC so that should all be taken care of.

Also either option complies with the wiring regs. I'd rather see the outside socket on its own FCU - Normally I'd want to turn it off when I was not using it, so I'd not want it on the same FCU as any kitchen appliance.

The ring is already RCD protected at the CU, I assume?

I wouldn't have both the dishwasher and washing machine on the same FCU, as there's a fairly good chance that both combined will draw over 13A - while it probably won't be enough over, or for long enough to blow the fuse, it's still not good practice...

Thanks Dave! I didn't know whether i'd get away with a double socket supplying the DIshwasher & washing machine . . . thought I'd have to separate them.

Yeah, the ring's RCD protected (the house was completely re-wired last year)

Slightly separate topic, but when i come to wire in the cooker isolation switch it will be above the worktop to the right of the cooker. Can i run the supply cable diagonally down and to the left in metal capping or would it need to run vertically into a blank and then horizontally left to reach the cooker outlet?

Sponsored Links
Would need to run vertically then horizontally, diagonally is not a safe zone - you don't actually need a blank though, as you'd have a vertical safe zone from the switch above, and a horizontal one from the cooker outlet below, although it might be easier in terms of making the bend...

You won't get a pass on that arrangement. 2 outlets fed from one FCU?

why not, it's perfectly within the wiring regulations..
it's a fused spur.. no limit to the number of outlets allowed on it ( besides the practical one of volt drop and maximum demand of 13A )

As an aside, Part P is NOT the electrical regs.

It is a part of the building regs that defines who can do electrical work in domestic premises.

The electrical regs is BS7671, and this defines the standard that electrical work must conform to.

KitchenWiring1.gif

This is for illustrative purposes only.

Safe zones etc must be followed in real life.

The electrical regs is BS7671, and this defines the standard that electrical work must conform to.

Actually BS7671 is not a statutory document, there is no legal obligation to comply with it. It can be used as a way of showing compliance with Part P, but if you can show this in some other way, then that would be OK. The Part P technical requirements are simply:

"P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back