Knee pads in work trousers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of pairs of different work trousers (the kind you buy from Screwfix or B&Q) with the space reserved for integrating nice helpful knee pads.

Excellent feature.

But for the fact it doesn't seem to work for me. I bought some integrated knee pads that you slot into the space and because they're bottom-loading, they keep moving around and sometimes they can almost come out.

It's not that they're the wrong size, they're actually quite a challenge to slide into the opening and they do fit snugly, it's just that, over time, they move and fall out.

I didn't read the instructions, I admit! Maybe I'm doing it wrong. For the time-being I have resorted to strap-on (oo'er!) knee pads.

However, why are all the trousers bottom-loading, wouldn't it make more sense for them to be top-loading... that way it would also be easier to put the knee pads in when you're wearing them... yes, bits of detritus might get into the top-loading flap... but maybe some Velcro would solve that?

Maybe some Velcro would solve the bottom-loading ones falling-out too!

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that if they slip into pockets on the trousers, the fabric would wear out before long. If they're strapped on externally, the trousers wouldn't get ripped as you move along the floor. Doesn't sound such a good idea to me, but then I don't use them.

Those are good points. But the trousers are quite hard-wearing and cheap enough to be replaced if necessary. I just wish they were top-loading.

I always use the strap-on elasticated ones although they also move around a bit and usually end up cutting into the back of the knee. Even better when I forget I have removed them and go crashing down onto the floor. Ouch!

Sponsored Links
Some of the ones we were issued with were bottom loaders too.

Don't make no sense to me at all, it do.

I'm wearing some right now but they don't fall out. They have a little flap that holds them in. I've had top loaders but they fill up with rubbish even with a flap.

Bottom loaders are generally the cheap ones. Snickers still do the best but they are pricey. They last for me for years though and I kneel on them 5 days a week. Never had the pockets fill up or wear out and if you get the proper contour pads they don't twist off your knee so easily either.

Sponsored Links
Back