Lady that loves Pipes:-) What's this? Anyone out their know?

Still have not seen, or maybe I missed it, whether you managed to put the 3 port valve onto the manual setting or not?
If you can this may allow you to get hot water until the system issue is diagnosed and fixed :)

Sponsored Links
Sounds stupid, but check obvious first! HW is selected and on at programmer and cylinder stat is calling for heat. These systems are basically a series of switches. During the selected 'on' periods, the programmer puts power through to cylinder stat. If demand for heat is sensed, cylinder stat then puts power through to valve motor. As valve motors open it activates a microswitch to give power to boiler and pump to make/move heated water. Should one 'switch' not operate, the system wont work.
Hi Hugh, I will try that very soon and report back. Thanx again :cool:
Hello again :p Just turned on hot water only ran upstairs to put a close ear on things. PUMP is vibrating as normal, 3 way valve is vibrating, like it normally does, pipes soon get hot. No sign of hot water yet though. Pretty sure that central heating will come on; if I remember rightly I tried this before i'm just being ultra careful to note things more directly now. Will report back. You sir, look like you may solve the conundrum - you are getting HOT :cool:
Hi Hugh, thank you for being so kind. I'm trying to keep cool in all this but it is difficult to ingest with so many things to think about. I PUT THE HW ON (the programmer is on overidde and nothing else) and what happens the central heating rads are lovely and hot. I go upstairs and the pipes either side of the 3 way valve and very hot too, remembering that the pipe on the right goes directly into the hw tank and this pipe is very hot right to the edge of the tank and then stone cold. Blimely :mrgreen:

Just checked the other post and you did set it to manual and you are getting hot water now? I'm losing the plot here methinks
:)

Sounds stupid, but check obvious first! HW is selected and on at programmer and cylinder stat is calling for heat. These systems are basically a series of switches. During the selected 'on' periods, the programmer puts power through to cylinder stat. If demand for heat is sensed, cylinder stat then puts power through to valve motor. As valve motors open it activates a microswitch to give power to boiler and pump to make/move heated water. Should one 'switch' not operate, the system wont work.
Hi Hugh, I will try that very soon and report back. Thanx again :cool:
Hello again :p Just turned on hot water only ran upstairs to put a close ear on things. PUMP is vibrating as normal, 3 way valve is vibrating, like it normally does, pipes soon get hot. No sign of hot water yet though. Pretty sure that central heating will come on; if I remember rightly I tried this before i'm just being ultra careful to note things more directly now. Will report back. You sir, look like you may solve the conundrum - you are getting HOT :cool:
Hi Hugh, thank you for being so kind. I'm trying to keep cool in all this but it is difficult to ingest with so many things to think about. I PUT THE HW ON (the programmer is on overidde and nothing else) and what happens the central heating rads are lovely and hot. I go upstairs and the pipes either side of the 3 way valve and very hot too, remembering that the pipe on the right goes directly into the hw tank and this pipe is very hot right to the edge of the tank and then stone cold. Blimely :mrgreen:
The cylinder thermostat looks pretty old there is not way to check that it is working that I can see, only by adjust the termperature dial. Just to add, I set the lounge stat to 70 degs and I am watching to see what happens when It reaches temerpature (have thermometer in room) all fascinating. Will cook some chips and come back later ..... thankx lovely pepe :p

Sponsored Links
Still have not seen, or maybe I missed it, whether you managed to put the 3 port valve onto the manual setting or not?
If you can this may allow you to get hot water until the system issue is diagnosed and fixed :)
Hi Rob, the 3 port vibrates and when the heating was off I turned it to manual as you suggested, put the heating back on but the little stick bit wont stay in the man position (thought about putting in matchstick then quickly changed my mind) :mrgreen: thanx .... Ellen.

Just checked the other post and you did set it to manual and you are getting hot water now? I'm losing the plot here methinks
:)
na na na no .... 3 way will not stay up in little kennel :p
Lol..little kennel...well you could try holding the little level over at manual for a little while and see if the return pipe from the hot water cylinder gets hot, which means it's flowing through the coil and you will get hot water, if so a rubber band would probably hold it temporarily. Just remember that it won't switch off automatically in manual mode so you'd need to switch it off manual after the water is hot enough.

If the little lever is springing back then that would suggest the valve is returning to mid or HW position. Now beginning to suspect blockage in the coil or HW return.... Would also explain why HW is slow to heat, there is some flow there but coil is severely restricted. Think you're going to need a plumber i'm afraid. :(

If the little lever is springing back then that would suggest the valve is returning to mid or HW position. Now beginning to suspect blockage in the coil or HW return.... Would also explain why HW is slow to heat, there is some flow there but coil is severely restricted. Think you're going to need a plumber i'm afraid. :(

Blast. Think you are right Hugh. No point in hanging around hoping it will fix itself. The tank is now becoming warm but will take around 3/4 hour to heat up adequately enough for my tub. That sounds dangerous. Blockage in coil .... eeeeeek. is it in any danger of blowing up? :rolleyes:

Blast. Think you are right Hugh. No point in hanging around hoping it will fix itself. The tank is now becoming warm but will take around 3/4 hour to heat up adequately enough for my tub. That sounds dangerous. Blockage in coil .... eeeeeek. is it in any danger of blowing up? :rolleyes:

Hi anyone? Central heating is not turning off even though the room thermostat has reached temperature! tank luke warm. Ats about it now really. Thanx ............ Ellen. :confused:

NO think you have cracked it. if heating wont turn off, like you said, suggests water is trying to push through just can't get into tank sufficiently to heat quickly enough buuuuuummmmmmerrrr - new tank perhaps . it's getting worse!! :mad:

NO think you have cracked it. if heating wont turn off, like you said, suggests water is trying to push through just can't get into tank sufficiently to heat quickly enough buuuuuummmmmmerrrr - new tank perhaps . it's getting worse!! :mad:
could it be that the hot water that should be going into tank is circulating back into the rads as it has nowhere else to go? :rolleyes:

could it be that the hot water that should be going into tank is circulating back into the rads as it has nowhere else to go? :rolleyes:
This IS BORING but I get to have a tub in about 3/4 hour at this rate. Will be worth the wait.... beginning to pong over here :D

This IS BORING but I get to have a tub in about 3/4 hour at this rate. Will be worth the wait.... beginning to pong over here :D
What to do..... make a curry, feed the cat, have a bath .... YES I HAVE A TANK OF WATER .... HOT enough for a nice hot tub. Turned everything off again now. Will do the same again and again until can afford Mr Corgi. mmmmmmmmm at least i'm not cold .... wouldn't like that AT ALL ;) THANX EVERYONE .... LOVELY PEPES. X

Would have expected system to shut down once roomstat reaches set temperature, something isn't right. Without being on site it is difficult to guess any further, it needs someone on site now to test and diagnose whilst looking at your system. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back