Laminate Flooring Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of getting the nursery ready with my partner... I'm 35 weeks pregnant and on a budget so trying to install laminate flooring ourselves (my partner is doing the actual physical parts and I'm doing the calculations).

I was measuring up and I can only get 2 boards along a row and then there's a 6cm gap which means I'd have to cut a board to fit, but this would look ridiculous. We're unsure what the most efficient thing to do is? Do we try to stagger the boards by cutting them, so we have 4 different lengths to use (whole board, 2/3 board , 3/4 board, 1/2 board?)... not sure if I'll end up running out?! I have tried searching for a floor layout calculator with no luck

Any suggestions would be great, we are on a budget and can't really afford to get a professional in as baby stuff has been expensive.

Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
If you don't want the 6cm piece at the end, start with a half and you'll end with a half+6cm.
There will be more waste but it will look better.
BTW, nobody looks at edges of a laminate floor, unless they've lied it themselves.

Yes, I'd start with a cut piece, then a full board, and then a cut piece to finish the row. The next rows ou can start with the offcut from finishing the previous row. But you should make sure to have always at least 30 or 40cm of distance between the joints, so always stagger.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back