Land Rovers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone own one or have experience with them?

Thinking of getting one, but wondering if anyone has any good / bad points about them?

And how many mpg they were getting.

I've been reading up and I'm going to average it out at about 25mpg, anyone know any different?

Sponsored Links
uncomfortable, no aircon, ugly, great for off road (which is what they were meant for)

Plenty of servicing and checking over regularly as well if you're going to be off-roading. This is the common mistake a lot of people make - they are the best off - roader but need the attention after every expedition.
Newer ones have more gizmos to go wrong as well. My 300 TDi Disco just keeps going on (with regular oil changes) just service items and the odd glitch with door locks - it is 13 years old and has done 160K.
It has been bonnet deep in flood water (with no snorkel - not recommended!) and has towed heavy trailors fairly regularly.
It depends if you want comfort or dependability?

And how many mpg they were getting.

If you've got a figure of 25mpg then you obviously know which size, style and engine choice you're going for.

If not, then I don't mean to be facetious, but you'll find a wide variation between the various sizes of petrol V8 (3.5 up to 4.6 litre) and the 4-cylinder (did they do a six?), and the various diesels. Not to mention that a lot of petrol Landies are set up to run on LPG (different mpg to petrol).

Plus the different wheelbases, body-styles, choice of tyres (full road-only tyres all the way up to very knobbly off-road tyres), gearing ratios, etc etc.

Personally, I would avoid one that's been used for off-roading already unless you know the owner is fastidious about cleaning and maintenance. The few off-roaders I know get a pressure washer on their cars as soon as they're out of the mud, but even they break things when out on their expeditions. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Forget get it, BUY A HUMMER if you want to have real fun and less problems

It's a Defender 110 2.5DTi

Anyone know if these are fast on the road, I know tops is about 82mph but taking off does it have any umph?

It's a Defender 110 2.5DTi

Anyone know if these are fast on the road, I know tops is about 82mph but taking off does it have any umph?

Why would you be considering a Land Rover if you wanted a vehicle that was fast on the road? I would normally suggest checking out Honest John who does not seem over-impressed. But these (often) application-specific vehicles are usually better understood by those in the know. So how about having a nose around The LOG.

Getting a Land Rover because I need a reliable work horse to plumb out of. My corsa is a bit small to be honest.

And the Land Rover's chasis is in good nick but needs a new bulk head which I will get. Their engines aren't too complicated so it's something I could learn easily plus I got a guy who would be willing to fix minor faults and would teach me about the engine.

I was going to get a van, but I just thought a Land Rover would be a bit more fun.

landrovers are great. i have (ahem) one or two.

you plan to replace the bulkhead yourself?? i hope you know what you're letting yourself in for :!: . its not a wee job. do you know if its the 200 or 300 TDi engine?

good thing is parts are very cheap online, but watch the quality.

No I wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself, I've had a price off someone to fit it for me at £500.

I'm not sure on the engine model, I just know it's a 2.5TDi

What are yours like for guzzling juice?

And if by any chance you have a 2.5TDi Defender 110, whats it like for the taking off speed, is it really slow and the granny in the micra next to you will be way infront, or is it decent when you put your foot down?

I'm planning on re-spraying it myself thought the paint looks a bit old, read up alot on preparing it for the respray so going to do that maybe when I have a week off.

And if by any chance you have a 2.5TDi Defender 110, whats it like for the taking off speed, is it really slow and the granny in the micra next to you will be way infront, or is it decent when you put your foot down?

an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping is likely to outdrag a landrover tdi.

lol I like your wording that made me laugh, but awww :(

lol I like your wording that made me laugh, but awww :(

thanks but i stole the line from messrs elton and curtis.

Sponsored Links
Back