Land Rovers

So what are the cheapish (around £200) tweaks I can do to the engine to make it that little bit fast, like new air filters etc...

And anyone know a website that sort of "pimps" landrovers, like Demon Tweaks but for Landees? (I have searched and can just find general basic parts, I'm not just being lazy) :)

Sponsored Links
None, they are dull lazy slugs, loads of torque, no acceleration. They are designed for a purpose. Speed isn't on of those.

actually, they are not too bad takeoff speed wise. doesn't really do anything mutch till it hits 2000rpm and then it goes ok. just keep it between 2000-3000 rpm and the're great.

you can tweak the pump timing and fuel delivery under boost, but there is a massive risk of melting pistons if you get it wrong, so i would leave well alone. best thing to do is remove the intercooler and flush it with paraffin/degreaser. i leave them lying flat full of jizer over night. you would be surprised how much difference drivability wise it makes for litte cost.
blank of EGR if it has it.

i have a 300TDi defender 110. i love it. use it for towing in dead cars and a 4 tonne trailer. its very torquey (if thats a word!) but is only happy to cruise at 60mph. will pull 70 no probs but doesn't like it.

by the way, 500 to fit a bulkhead, thats very reasonable.

sorry to ramble on
dave

Sponsored Links
Yeah everything has their good & bad points I suppose.

The £500 for the bulkhead is from a mate so guess he will give me good price.

I will have to get myself a Land Rover Defender maintenance book, they're only £20 in Halfords so I will be sure to buy one, will need to if I want to start tinkering with the engine.

They are simple straight forward engines, right?

They may have the aerodynamics of a garden shed, are as environmentally friendly as napalm and cold and cramped, but I would have nothing else. My current Defender TD5 dates from 2001 and absolutely nothing has gone wrong. The tyres have most of their tread after 58,000 miles and it still has the original brake pads. Just wait until the bad weather comes and watch the Audis and BMWs floundering around.

Yeah I'm looking forward to driving it, I didn't like them at first I thought they were big ugly things but I've grown quite fond of them now, they turn just as many heads as a nice sports car

Superb vehicle. Brilliant for what you want it for, John. The 110 is just like a big old shed you can take round with you. Excellent. It's a whole new way of motoring. Somehow keeping up with the Impreza in front doesn't matter too much any more.

2.5 200 or 300 Tdi is best engine Landrover ever made - 300,000 miles no problem. Make sure cambelts have been changed though.

Here is a picture of our 90 300Tdi - which is plenty able to keep up with traffic - 0.60 in 17 secs, or thereabouts. Top speed 80, cruises at 65-70 with no problem, with the Goodrich tyres on. Simexes are a bit noisier and slower though !

[/img]

Looks like your having fun in that :)

The engine apparently doesn't have a cambelt it has something else so I have no worries about that snapping, I don't know what it has thats just what I'm told.

if it not got a cambelt its either
a: not a landrover engine (if not is been converted. whats in it?)
b: a TD5 engine (great engine)
c: a V8 (the best one!!)

if its the TD5 its not the most easy one to work on for the diy'er.

how old is the one you are looking at??

I think it's a TD5, he said it was made when they weren't putting cambelts in engines so it must be that one cus it is a Land Rover engine.

Aww well guess I will have some learning to do :)

It's a 1991, apparently very tatty inside and out but I got a bit of money to spend on it so I'm going to try and make it nice as possible :)

You might consider getting hold of a book or two from this Haynes selection.

The Off-Road 4-Wheel-Drive Book Choosing, using and maintaining go-anywhere vehicles By: Jack Jackson is very good read. Obviously it's not specifically Land Rovers being dealt with here but a valued appraisal of many 4-wheel drive vehicles. JJ does bang on about the folly of manufacturers who fit cambelts to 4 x 4s. For the poor bu**er hot-footing it over Kilimanjaro whose front wheel confronts a seemingly surmountable bolder, gives it some right welly (OK, sandal) and then discovers that the component connecting crank to camshaft is constructed from glorified knicker-elastic. Even if his valves haven't sha**ed his piston crowns will there be a branch of Cambelts-R-Us in Tanzania? Unlikely, I reckon.

if its a '91 it should be a 200TDi. these do have a cambelt, and need replacing every 72k or 5 years. 36k if used hard.
could possibly be the last of the 2.5TD engines, but i doubt it (and hope not as they are not great). its not ex army is it?

if it has a TD5 engine in it i would be very surprised, they were fitted from '98 onwards, and a retro fit to an older car would be unlikely to be financially worth it, not to mention the wiring nightmare.

Hey thanks Chainsaw_masochist I will look into them :)

if its a '91 it should be a 200TDi. these do have a cambelt, and need replacing every 72k or 5 years. 36k if used hard.
could possibly be the last of the 2.5TD engines, but i doubt it (and hope not as they are not great). its not ex army is it?

if it has a TD5 engine in it i would be very surprised, they were fitted from '98 onwards, and a retro fit to an older car would be unlikely to be financially worth it, not to mention the wiring nightmare.

He definately said the engine didn't need a cambelt, I will ask him tomorrow. It's not an ex army it is an ex quarry vehicle, I think I remember him saying the engine was replaced, I will find out for sure tomorrow though and post up :)

We used to run 2 Defender Td5 110s on our plumbing company.

In fact we won an award for best signwriting for them in 2004.

http://www.raccoon.co.uk/awards.html

Totally useless as a plumbers van, once you had a Norstrom powerflusher and tools there was no room for a boiler.

25mpg if you are lucky and no, it would struggle to beat a fully charged milk float off the lights. I had a 90 soft top with a 4.2 petrol inj V8 and even that wouldn't race a Mondeo.

Both work 110s now replaced with new Merc Sprinters.

I have a 2008 TDCi 90 with all the bells and whistles, wouldn't use it for work though. Love them but hate them, if you know what i mean.

The signwritten 110s used to bring in a lot of work and comments.

Sponsored Links
Back