Laptop won't boot up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been handed a Packard Bell Easynote E6 100 laptop to have a go at repairing but the problem is far bigger than described by its owner.
What happens is, when I boot up the POST beep is audible, then the Packard Bell logo appears on the screen after a couple of seconds there is a short crackle sound similar to an electric short and the screen goes black.
If I leave it for a while it will go into a loop of the same sequence.
Because I thought it was the monitor that was faulty, I linked an external monitor to the laptop and exactly the same thing happens.
I can enter the BIOS and eveything is displayed in colour with clarity.
Can anyone please give me some advice.
Thanks for any help.
PM

Sponsored Links
Yes, tried Safe mode, Last Known config, etc. After sseveral attempts to boot up, it started loading Windows but I heard the crackle and it shut down and started looping.
Thanks for your reply, it's appreciated.
PM

is the tft screen good,just wondered if booting it up give the invertor a boost shows the screen then it goes black but the computer is still working?
if so then the invertor board needs replacing.

if not then aint got a scooby.

Sponsored Links
The few clues I have to the screen working is; Boot up screen with the Packard Bell logo, Bios settings and the Windows start up with the running horizontal dots. What little I see is displayed in colour and clear. The external Monitor runs in tandem with the laptop screen and both shut down. I have seen advice about replacing the Inverter, but I thought I would try and isolate the problem to avoid unecessary cost and work.
Thanks for your reply.
PM

Have you tried to do a fresh install of Windows, or at least boot up a Linux Distro

With the info given it does not point either way hardware or software, the latter can be found out with a fresh install

I considered the HDD. So I've just loaded Windows XP Home and everything seemed to go alright. Except, I only have the Recycle logo on the Desktop apart from the landscape background and Device Manager says I need Other Devices and VGA Controller is highlighted, (with others) so I'll try and install them when I find them, but I can't see that being a fix.

N.B. All commands and display went through the external monitor, the laptop screen was blank throughout the process.

By default on a clean install of XP only recycle bin is on your desktop

Right click desktop choose properties
Click the Desktop tab.
Click the Customize Desktop button.
Select the icons you want added to your desktop.
Click OK.
Click OK to close the Desktop Properties windows

There is nothing wrong with your laptop if it is now working fine

Sadly these things happen with every OS, re-install works a treat as oppose to hours trying to find out what the fault is or what caused it, time is of the essence so whatever fix is the quickest is the right way

Hope it all goes well

Thanks for replying and keeping an eye on progress EFC, but I possibly haven't explained myself properly.

Windows XP installed without a problem on the Hard Drive.

Throughout the installing of XP the laptop screen was blank. I had to configure all commands via the external Monitor that I have connected to the laptop. The laptop screen is dead and apart from initial images at start up nothing showed on the laptop LCD.
I appreciate your help.
PM

Thanks for replying and keeping an eye on progress EFC, but I possibly haven't explained myself properly.

Windows XP installed without a problem on the Hard Drive.

Throughout the installing of XP the laptop screen was blank. I had to configure all commands via the external Monitor that I have connected to the laptop. The laptop screen is dead and apart from initial images at start up nothing showed on the laptop LCD.
I appreciate your help.
PM

So let me get this right

You installed XP onto the laptop using a monitor as oppose to the laptop screen, and now you still have the monitor attached and the laptop is blank screen

So this issue is when you disconnect the monitor right after the logo screen it goes blank and stays that way?

EFCLee1";p="1898696 said:
You installed XP onto the laptop using a monitor as oppose to the laptop screen, and now you still have the monitor attached and the laptop is blank screen

So this issue is when you disconnect the monitor right after the logo screen it goes blank and stays that way?

That's about it EFC.

Monkeh has suggested the replacing the Inverter, but that is new territory for me. Are they standard, i.e. one size fits all?
Thanks,
PM

So can you only see the windows desktop when the monitor is attached?
Yes. I have a spare Dell Monitor and I connected it to the Laptop through the serial port. The laptop screen stays blank shortly after boot-up, all commands are operated through the Dell screen.

PM

Sponsored Links
Back