Laptop won't boot up.

Are you aware of the "F" key that alternates between laptop screen and attached monitor, its different on all laptops and will be displayed with a symbol so press it whith the FN key and see what happens

Further to above comment, one tricky re-install I done required drivers/software for this function to work

This is still not clear as to whether its a hardware or software

Recommend you go to manufacturers website and download and install every single driver update for that laptop then give the F key a try

Sponsored Links
Thanks again EFC, I didn't know about the 'F' Key, but the F11 key has a Monitor icon on it. It's a screen inside a square.

Regarding the Driver d'loads, Packard Bell do not seem to store drivers for older models and I've got segs on my eyes searching for them in PBs online support. Seems to be a poor company for supporting clients problems.

I'm also trying to find a site that shows how to dismantle the machine, in case I need to get at the Inverter. So if anyone has a link to "dismantling a Packard Bell E6100 tutorial", I'd be grateful.
Thanks to all who've helped and shown an interest
PM

Sponsored Links
EFCLee1, Gregers, Igorian and Monkeh, I'm grateful for your help and support.
You've done about as much as you can without doing the actual repair, so it's up to me now and I'm going to get stuck in.
PM

As a last resort maybe? but what happened when you installed all the relevant drivers,?

It's working!!
I went to the Laptop Repair site and had a look at possible problems other than what I expected it to be.
Under Laptop video problems was advice to do preliminary surveys before tearing the machine apart, and I saw this:
It’s possible that the LCD lid close switch stuck in the “closed” position and the backlight stays off even when you open the LCD screen or turn on the laptop. The switch turns off the backlight when you close the LCD display to save the laptop battery power. Check the LCD lid close switch. Usually it is a small plastic pin located close to the LCD hinges. Try to tap on the switch a few times to turn on the backlight. If after tapping on the LCD lid close switch the backlight stays on, you fixed the problem.
I tickled the switch with a small pair of tweezers and a very small spigot popped up. I connected the machine, done the Fn + F11 and the screen burst into colour. I just hope it doesn't have a tendency to stick like this permanently, but without your help I would still be scratching my head in puzzlement.
Well done and thank you very much.
PM

............but what happened when you installed all the relevant drivers,?

That's my next task!
PM

pipemajor: you could try spraying the switch with a small amount of WD 40 (use a straw on the nozzle to stop it going everywhere).

EFCLee1, Gregers, Igorian and Monkeh, I'm grateful for your help and support.
You've done about as much as you can without doing the actual repair, so it's up to me now and I'm going to get stuck in.
PM

Always a last resort to get out the screwdriver set and luckily you found the fault before you dismantled the laptop

Almost every time I take one apart I am left with about half a dozen screws left over, hahaha thats not to reflect on my IT skills its because there is like over 50 screws you have to undo to get the mobo out

Glad its sorted

Sponsored Links
Back