Las Malvinas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
..ARGENTINA has given a warning of 'a drastic change' in its quest for sovereignty over the Falklands. It has also accused Britain of bad faith for failing to enter substantive talks on the future of the islands over which the two countries went to war 24 years ago....

Are the macho men stirring again.. ?
:(

Sponsored Links
My mate who is an officer in The Navy reckons if Argentina invaded again, we wouldn't defend the islands because we couldn't afford it.

Maybe they've bought a few more Excocets? If they'd had 50 and not 6 last time around we'd have a navy on the bottom of the Atlantic today.

A Navy fighting an enemy that is anywhere near capable would lose the lot.

joe

we have sniffed oil there now so any attempt by the argies to take it would be met with a massive responce even going to the extent of bombing there capital me thinks

a blockade with subs would be easy so nah the argies aint gonna take it back ever :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Apart from the chance of claiming that some of the Antarctic oil rightfully belongs to that nearby country, the UK :rolleyes: we've wanted to see the back of them for many years. Unfortunately the locals don't want to become Argentinean and won't go away.

notb665 said:
My mate who is an officer in The Navy reckons if Argentina invaded again, we wouldn't defend the islands because we couldn't afford it.

They would not need much of a naval defence as the Falklands has a militay airport built nearly 20 yrs ago

splinter said:
They would not need much of a naval defence as the Falklands has a militay airport built nearly 20 yrs ago

Was it built for us by the Argies while they were visiting?

JohnD said:
splinter said:

Was it built for us by the Argies while they were visiting?

By the Brits after the war

Nige F said:
hermes said:
Don't see why we didn't let them have it ages ago.
T*****er :mad:

Ahh, well reasoned response there, you're clearly an intelligent bloke. I bet if the british govt had told us before the war that they were going to restore the islands to the argentinians you wouldn't have cared less coz you'd never have heard of them.

how can you restore what was never theres in the first place?

hermes said:
Nige F said:
hermes said:
Don't see why we didn't let them have it ages ago.
T*****er :mad:

Ahh, well reasoned response there, you're clearly an intelligent bloke. I bet if the british govt had told us before the war that they were going to restore the islands to the argentinians you wouldn't have cared less coz you'd never have heard of them.
Up to my usual standard ;) Based on the premise that rhetoric on obscure websites is purely for my own amusement:cool: And yes, I`d never heard of them or knew we owned them :oops:

In the doubtful situation of another war ..
The strategy would change. Our subs proved to be conventionally lethal the last time around... The navy now have sub launch cruise missiles, and they have been fired in anger.
"Hunter killer" submarines (designated SSNs by the RN) are designed to pursue and attack enemy submarines and surface ships using torpedoes. They are also able to carry "cruise" missiles for use against shore-based targets.

1999 -- 16-20? cruise missiles fired by a British submarine during Nato's air campaign against Yugoslavia. HMS Splendid, based in the Adriatic, was the first British submarine to fire the US-made Tomahawk missiles in anger, becoming the first British nuclear submarine to fire on an enemy since H.M.S Conqueror in 1982 (Falklands).... The Royal Navy later used cruise in the 2001 Afghanistan War and Operation Telic, the British contribution to the 2003 Iraq War.

It is planned that all Royal Navy submarines will be Tomahawk capable by 2008, including the future Astute class attack submarine.

An effective deterrent I would have thought.
;)

Sponsored Links
Back