Laser Levels for bricklaying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone explain to me what type of laser level one could use for bricklaying and how it would be used - what aspect of the bricklaying process would a laser level improve/speed up?

During a recent build of my garage an associate of mine asked why I wasn't using a laser level - didn't get into it with him. But since then i've been mulling it over. He's a bricklayer by trade and obviously uses laser levels. I'm just a diy'er. I'd ask him to explain but he's away for a few months now and wont see him again till june.

I am aware of Rotary, Line/Cross Line, and dot levels and understand the how they all work (not that that's an endorsement of my academic abilities), but cant see how any of them would be of any particular use when laying bricks - but im sure they are.

Anyone know?

Sponsored Links
We use a PLS laser which fires a visible beam and a 'pulse' mode which fires a less visible beam but which is picked up by the sensor, for distance lasering and outdoor work.

We use it in pulse mode when setting out datum levelling pegs.

For example, we would set four pegs in each corner of garage externally that would indicate say dpc level. We would then drop a level onto the top of each peg and measure down or gauge down to our brickwork, when striking off the footings.

When all four corners are up and level with the pegs - hey presto a level garage. You then gauge up off the damp.

Thanks Noseall

I understand your explanation - and can see how a laser would be useful for establishing DPC height and calculating your gauge below that to ensure your bang on the money by the time you reach the DPC. I also understand how they can be used for excavating to even depths etc.

But can a laser be used to assist in actually laying the bricks/blocks? I cant see how they can with regards to plumb, level and range......

Thanks Noseall

I understand your explanation - and can see how a laser would be useful for establishing DPC height and calculating your gauge below that to ensure your bang on the money by the time you reach the DPC. I also understand how they can be used for excavating to even depths etc.

But can a laser be used to assist in actually laying the bricks/blocks? I cant see how they can with regards to plumb, level and range......
They can't be used for laying bricks. Just setting out.

Sponsored Links
I guess you could use a laser level to check your courses are horizontal, but, it's probably just quicker and easier to built your corners first, make sure they're on gauge, then just run them in using string... Adjusting the height of the laser would take longer than moving the string up, and it would be harder to see.

As mentioned you could use it for setting out but again I don't suppose it's massively quicker or easier than a water level, depending on factors like distance and shape etc.

In my opinion they're a lot more useful for tiling, kitchen unit leveling, etc.

used for setting up levels, then when at dpc level, use profiles with gauge tape and you won't need to check again

We're brickies by trade, and all I can say is that I love my Topcon Laser more than my wife!! If you get your Damp Course in level, as noseall says, its plain sailing from there. Apart from the trowel, its the best tool in the van.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back