laser printer activating PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a laser printer which is in the corner of a room. the room has a PIR sensor in the opposite corner but on the same side of the wall.
I remotely print to the printer whilst away from home so they are there on the printer waiting for when I return home.
however on most but not all times when I print I end up getting a text saying the PIR in that room as been activated as intruder zone and sets off the alarm.Obviously paper moves and the printer generates heat but really?! Never had any false activations apart from when I print!
Sounds a bit daft but should that really be happening?!

Sponsored Links
The paper is what gets heated by the printer. Moving heated object = exactly what PIR sensors are designed to detect.

Move the printer so out of detected area.
You could mask out the side of the sensor that looks at printer,this is a last resort and not good practice.
Change sensor as already said .

Sponsored Links
IMG_1972.PNG
Move printer or adjust sensor

Put a upturned cardboard box over the printer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back