Latest horror...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My regular readers will probably have been following my adventures doing a house up with interest - I mean amusement. Latest… I’m getting better insulation in my attic, and clearing it out.

I’ve just discovered this, above the main light in the living room ceiling (which is just an ordinary bulb).

IMAG1344.jpg

I think my question is best expressed as “What the F@*! Is it???”

I mean, obviously, it's a transformer. My back had pretty much given out by the time I'd uncovered it, so couldn't bend to read the label etc. But it’s BIG – you can see the approximate size with reference to the desk drawer it’s sitting in

Sponsored Links
It's certainly a nice big one!
Is it connected to anything, on either side? - the white Flex appears to have been cut off and I can't make out the other connections behind, nor tell which are the primary and secondary winding connections.

Maybe there was one of them 12 volt pendants there with an Eaglerise or whatever there called in the base, it was quite common when they failed to replace with a transformer in the void above

Maybe there was one of them 12 volt pendants there with an Eaglerise or whatever there called in the base, it was quite common when they failed to replace with a transformer in the void above
Would make sense.
It looks to be about 100VA
I used to have an Ikea thing with 4x 20W halogens that had a stonking great toroidial in it. (It overheated after some 25W lamps got put in by mistake).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I mean, obviously, it's a transformer. My back had pretty much given out by the time I'd uncovered it, so couldn't bend to read the label etc. But it’s BIG – you can see the approximate size with reference to the desk drawer it’s sitting in
It surely seems reasonable to assume that it has at least a 12V tap, and is being used for lighting.

Hang onto it, Roger - a proper transformer can be jolly useful if you want to power 12V AC LED lights.

I used to have an Ikea thing with 4x 20W halogens that had a stonking great toroidial in it. (It overheated after some 25W lamps got put in by mistake).
Somewhere I have a stonking great transformer. Can't remember the rating, but it's in a white metal enclosure the size of a shoe box, and it is 'kn heavy.

Somewhere I have a stonking great transformer. Can't remember the rating, but it's in a white metal enclosure the size of a shoe box, and it is 'kn heavy.
Still see them about some were 500Va with 10 fused outputs

full

Yeah I think that's likely, actually - this house had all sorts of weird chandeliers when I moved in. I reckon there was something like you say in this room, but ripped out before I moved in...

I'll investigate tomorrow when my back hurts a bit less...

Thats an OMFG! transformer, commonly used to sink battleships.

Looks to me like it's still in service.

I bow to your superior knowledge Sir, but I have no low-voltage lights in that part of the house.

Knowing the previous occupants, though, the live wires probably terminate in the middle of the ceiling somewhere... as I say, if my clickety-clack is up to it tomorrow, I'll report back further :oops:

Still see them about some were 500Va with 10 fused outputs

full
Never opened mine but from memory it looks like it could easily be one like those. (Although hopefully it still contains its supply of blue smoke). I do remember that it has multiple outputs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back