Lathe and plaster wall water damage

Joined
6 Dec 2007
Messages
1,444
Reaction score
28
Location
Dundee
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bay window which is lathe and plaster. When I was sanding the skirtings, I discovered the plaster under the windows is soft and breaking away. It seems like the windows have been leaking (new windows going in as we speak). The plaster under the centre section is full of filler and it feels like the lathes have come away from the studs - there’s a good bit of movement in it. For context, there used to be a huge radiator that was shaped into the bay and mounted on boards. I now have two singles and that centre board was removed - so I wonder if the board has been ripped off, loosening the lathes. Under one window, there was black mould under the wall paper.

It’s looking like I’m going to have to repair it myself as our schools come off for two weeks on Friday and apparently so does every plasterer I’ve contacted

My gut instinct is to remove the plaster under the windows, possibly the lathes as well and reboard and skim. One got told me that he’d just leave the existing plaster but board the centre section, using long screws to hopefully pull the lathes back on to the studs. He also said he’d just fill where the plaster is soft and breaking away. Surely I need to see if there’s any damage to the timbers behind that plaster?

The sides of the bay at the windows are sound, so I can get away with just taking off the lower section. What thickness plasterboard would I need to try and matching in with the lathe and plaster I’m leaving?

Does what I’m thinking of doing sound reasonable or over the top?
 
OP'
Be there when the new windows are installed - look carefully as the old frames are removed - look for damp or damage above cill level?

Definitely remove the plaster and laths, and after checking for rot then install insulation in the bays - insulation could also be fixed ON & across the studs, & then boarded over but it will pull your wall surface out a little. If possible dont touch the skirting or you could possibly introduce trouble.
 
Pull off the old and see where the water was coming in, and what the damage is. You may find rotting wood, which all needs to be removed.

The rigid foam slabs have twice the insulating value as the same thickness of mineral wool, and does not hold damp.

When rebuilding, you could use a breathable roofing membrane, and insulate thoroughly before refacing with plasterboard. While you have it open is a good time to add any electrical sockets you way want.
 
thank you gents. That’s really helpful. I think the water was coming in under the sill. The plaster under one window does seem solid enough but if I’ve got to do under 3 windows, then it makes sense to do them all.

I was surprised that there was mould as there’s a radiator on the wall.

I got a couple of pics as they were putting the windows in. I don’t see anything obviously damp but until I get the lathe and plaster off, I wind know what’s under it
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    700 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    851.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    673.5 KB · Views: 8
I can't see any reason not to take the skirting off.

You can strip the entire bay and have a clean sweep.
 
Good advice in here already. One thing I'd add from experience: once you've stripped it back, don't be in a rush to close it up again. Get a cheap moisture meter and check the timbers are properly dry before reboarding — plastering over damp lathes just traps it and the mould will come back. A week or so of decent ventilation makes a big difference.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top