Law on ownership - Slabs going to tip

just a thought
perhaps the misunderstanding was between the gardner an the man next door
but never ever stir things up as disputes have to be declared when selling and that can cost you time and money

Sponsored Links
lesson here - don't go with what a tradesman tells you, always ask the homeowner first.

I guess so. Also don't bother helping people out and trying to re use materials.

not that, but homeowners can be funny. I was lucky with my extension, the neighbour was also rebuilding their house and we had the same roof tiles, so swapped electricity for tiles. But that was a deal I made with the homeowner / builder, if the roofer just said "yeah, you can have these" I'd still check with the homeowner first.

Sponsored Links
Some people are just petty tossers. I bet your neighbour is also currently pursuing the gardener for a partial refund of his tipping costs. Just move on, life's too short, plenty more on Freecycle.

Well I returned them all now. The gardener was a bit confused over the logic, and was saying he has to pay to get rid of them, it's annoying because he seems a nice guy. So I have at least reset the situation.

Last time I try and help someone out. I remember now why I don't like people.

Well I returned them all now. The gardener was a bit confused over the logic, and was saying he has to pay to get rid of them, it's annoying because he seems a nice guy. So I have at least reset the situation.

Last time I try and help someone out. I remember now why I don't like people.

As I posted before - The Gardener should now show a detailed invoice to the client showing the disposal costs. I have done such in the past as the costs aren't cheap and he shouldn't be expected to bear it as part of his profits. He has to put it on his invoice to be claimed as part of the materials costs so tax deductable. Think when you buy tyres, there is a disposal charge shown on the bill, this is similar.

On a weird side thought, does that mean I own my rubbish in the back on the bin lorry, all the time the bin lorry is driving around, until the the point it is tipped in to the landfill?

You own the rubbish whilst it is in the bin, but transfer ownership to the council/ company collecting your rubbish at the time it gets tipped into the truck.

Not a good neighbour - I guess he suddenly realised that the slabs add some value and wanted to maybe sell them. They remained his property until the were broken and delivered to the tip, so he was in the right to stop you having them, but..

Definitely a quiet news day! If I happen to bump into Michael Wolkind over the weekend I'll ask him.

So if the gardener sells them who gets the money? As people are saying they remain the property of the homeowner?

Common sense to me the OP should have asked the homeowner first in anycase.

Give the slabs back let your neighbour sort them out ,Just be polite and eat " Humble Pie" I would then try and forget the incident but these types of neighbour disputes tend to return and escalate out of control

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back