Lead Singles Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A3935052-4582-4114-80D0-6796AEE716B8.jpeg
6A2B8F5D-10CF-4F80-BE96-46A5FEA80D47.jpeg
FCD3B8A4-E9CA-4498-8999-1479230BC4B8.jpeg

i have a job rewiring an old ship - it currently has lead sheathed cable with what looks like a single core with perhaps a cloth insulator? It dates back to the 1940’s.
Originally it was all 110v dc. The lighting has now been converted to 24vdc and The customer would like to keep a lot of the old switch gear and cables etc as this is going to be a bit like a museum ship open to the public.
My first thoughts were to wire the additional bits in bare MI.
Is there any way to terminate some of these old lead ends where someone has chopped them off?
Ideas and thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
The clipping and cable runs take me back, I served my time in shipbuilding and spent hours clipping (rubber insulated) cables in neat runs, no crosses, twists or sharp bends were the rules, clips were made by a clipmaker from profiles sent from the drawing office

Sponsored Links
I assume the Stanley knife is for emergency isolation?:LOL:

The customer would like to keep a lot of the old switch gear and cables etc as this is going to be a bit like a museum ship open to the public.
Until I read that my advice was going to be

Make off with that panel, clean it up, and sell it as a steampunk item.

Do they want to keep it in use, or just for show?

The clipping and cable runs take me back, I served my time in shipbuilding and spent hours clipping (rubber insulated) cables in neat runs, no crosses, twists or sharp bends were the rules, clips were made by a clipmaker from profiles sent from the drawing office
Do you have any recollection of this type of lead cable or the glands etc?

More info can be found here if interested. http://www.ssfreshspring.co.uk/
Thanks ...

"...the only surviving example of the 14 Fresh class water carriers built by Lytham Shipbuilding and Engineering Co for the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA)" is rather different from ...
It’s in the last surviving steam ship in the world.
... which is the statement I questioned.

I didn't have to do any guessing - a friend of mine is passionate about steamships, and spends much of his spare time travelling around the country (and beyond) to see working steamships!

Kind Regards, John

The one in Princess Dock (if it's still there) is/was the TS Queen Mary. No not that one !! A 'Doon the Water' day out passenger vessel that had to relinquish its name when the liner Queen Mary was named. So the lesser one became Queen Mary II. I believe now that that Queen Mary is no longer a sea going vessel, the original Queen Mary has got her name back. I recall sailing on her sometime in the last 50s
See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-36292970 and
http://www.tsqueenmary.org.uk/history.htm
and lots of youtube videos for those interested "youtube TS queen mary"

Last edited:
Thanks ...

"...the only surviving example of the 14 Fresh class water carriers built by Lytham Shipbuilding and Engineering Co for the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA)" is rather different from ... ... which is the statement I questioned.

I didn't have to do any guessing - a friend of mine is passionate about steamships, and spends much of his spare time travelling around the country (and beyond) to see working steamships!

Kind Regards, John

Excuse my mistake - I was only going on what I thought I heard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back