lead water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't exactly a DIY question, but I was just hoping somebody might be able to help.

We have recently bought a house and need to replace the lead service pipe than runs through the garden and into the house. We are stuggling to find the right tradesman for the job. Plumbers are saying its not their area of expertise and the builders we have spoken to don't deal with it either. Does anyone know what type of tradesman we should be looking for? any that are in wales? any good websites that you could point us in the direction of?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The best, least disruptive way of renewing/laying a new water service is by the mole method. You dig a pit every 4-6m and send a mole machine through and this then pulls the pipe through. Local water utility company connect pipe at boundry and plumber connects internal pipework.What distance are you looking at from your boundry to entry to house?

I'm in Newport.

The property is elevated. It has a smallish front garden with steps leading up to the front door. The steps are to the left of the property and the garden to the right. Do you think this will make much of a difference. Could you still use 'moling' at this sort of property? Does the plumber dig the holes or would we need a builder to do that?

Sponsored Links
I have fitted many new water mains, If the house is elevated do you have wooden floor boards?

If not inside of the house may have to be dug out too its difficult to say without looking properly

Look in your local phonebook under "water pipe renewal" or "moling contractors". Failing that, ask your neighbours. As a last resort ask your local waterboard inspector to recommend somebody, they aren't allowed to but they all know somebody who does it.

If you feel up to a bit of hard work, you can even do it yourself. If you decide to DIY then just ask here for what you have to do.

its block wood flooring and in all honesty i've got no idea what is underneath! When you say the inside of the house may need to be dug up too, to what extent do you mean? The pipe comes in under the stairs. Would it just mean the understairs cupboard would need to be dug up or the whole hall? The understairs cupboard is fairly close to the front door.

Stamp on the floor, does it echo? If it sounds hollow then you have suspended floors, if it sounds like stamping on concrete then they are solid.

i've got a terrible feeling it might be solid floors! Does this make the job really difficult?

terraced - are you going to tell me we probably share the pipe with next door? :) i'm starting to panic now!

It does yes
The reason being that you maybe able to enter through the side of the house rather than the front.

If it has solid floors one room , will have to be dug up to get the main into the house.

If access can be made from the side of the house it will be a smaller hole inside the house

only problem is there is no side or back entrance to the property because there is a property on the other side of us (not attached, but close). When you say dig up a room, do you mean like the entire hallway (where the lead pipe comes in). Why does it need to be the entire room?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back