lead water pipe

no not the entire room
Free estimate and advice available just need to alter profile then you can look there.

Sponsored Links
i'm feeling a bit thick now! I was just sat here wondering why there is no side/back entrance (we haven't moved in yet), when I asked my boyfriend he said its because its actually mid-terraced! oops!

Ok the explanation, Terraced house ok the new water main has to enter the house from underground outside this means a small hole or even very small hole has to go from inside to outside underground the size on the hole inside depends on the depth of the main outside.

Sponsored Links
the house is quite high up, are you saying the hole in the house has to be dug to a depth that would make it level with the street outside?

The easiest way to do this is for you to look in my profile click e mail send me a message explaining who you are and I will give you my tel:- no

I will have a look tell you what has to be done (free of charge) and go from there.

Other than that put your boyfriend on :LOL:

only problem is i don't know how to view your profile! going on forums is new to me! :D

Goto my name in the column on the right click on it then you should get my profile

look for my name on the latest posts

My daughter decided she would like her lead pipe replacing and approached united Utilities who apparently give the names of two firms.
The quotes were both around £900, the total distance being 5 metres.
So armed with all the requirements and United Utilities approval I dug the trench to the required depth. 0.75 metre
Created a new entrance for the new pipe under the foundation wall and also dug hole in kitchen to join it up. Fitted 100mm diam ducting to form 90 degree bend. Fitted 50mm diam. ducting in trench in lieu of reccomended sand. Dug under wall at end of yard about one metre. Fitted 25mm poly pipe with special insulation in the 100 mm ducting.Called United utilities who inspected the work and within two days made the connection to a newish main supply pipe.
A further hole was made to locate the existing lead pipe, which was then cut and capped off. (stop cock at end of terrace turn off for 20 mins)
New internal stop cock and drain cock fitted in kitchen together with copper pipe and a few elbows and tees to complete.
Cost about £50.
This may give you an insight to what is involved.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't matter how high up the house is, pipe must be 0.75 metres below ground. If ground slopes so does trench, I had to go to 1 metre at wall end to ensure 0.75 metres on other side.

so If the ground stops and you have six or seven steps upto the house how deep have you got to go to get under the foundations?

The height of the house does matter

sime10 said:
so If the ground stops and you have six or seven steps upto the house how deep have you got to go to get under the foundations?

The height of the house does matter

And you come back with that:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back