lead water pipe

Been dealing with one house that is halfway down a steep bank, approximate 60' drop from road level (where main is...) The garden is a stepped terrace. They've had to lay the pipe so that it is 750mm from inner apex of each step. Glad I wasn't digging that one... The other alternative was to bring a pipe up 40' from the main below, but the lower main has pressure reduction on it due to it being at the bottom of a massive hill!

Sponsored Links
See MANDATE someone who completely understood what I was talking about
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I suppose they heard the scare stories about lead contaminated water (not sure )

Sponsored Links
maybe....here in leicester there not worth doing just for that cos normally all scalled up and no lead been near the water for years

House on the steep bank is a new build. Picked a pretty stupid place to build it really, although I heard they didn't have much trouble getting a fall on the drains :D

Sime you got all wrong again. boxbashers house is half way down (and half way up) a gradient so he has the same interpretation as me.
just to keep you updated 2'6'' = 762.002 mm so the answer to your question is 'no' they are not equal.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JPC said:
maybe....normally all scalled up and no lead been near the water for years

A result of water companies dosing phosphate in the water... prevents high levels of lead being found in drinking water. One of the reasons so many have stopped free lead replacement schemes.

Hi,

I haven't checked my forum thread since wednesday evening (when I started it!) and was surprised to see how many replies i'd had!

The reason we want to replace it is because of the scare stories about lead poisoning. Although the street the house is on is pretty old ans so it could well be the main water pipe running through the street is lead for all we know.

We're not 100% sure whether this is the right time of year to go messing with water pipes seen as its going to get frosty/icy soon. what do you think?

Sime10 - do you have your own business or something. Like, theoretically if you did the work would you be insured etc?

The street main won`t be lead ..........could be asbestos-cement :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back