Leak from soil pipe in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am decorating my bathroom and am about to paint the wall and ceiling. Then I found one ceiling corner next to the 'vertical' soil pipe has some damp damage. Then I realise the water is from the loft.

In the loft, directly above the damage location in the bathroom, there is a 90 degree bend connection, and the water is leaking, very very slowly, from the joint. See the picture below. There is clear sign of repair (at least 10 years ago) with silicone sealant, but apparently that is not working now.

I have a couple of questions -
1. Is it a vented soil pipe, i.e. no water is supposed to go through there? If so, where does the water come from? Is it from the roof (leak in roof into the pipe), which will be a big worry..., or perhaps water condensation from the pipes below?

I should add that I inspected everywhere in the loft, and no other leak from the roof can be found.

2. What would be the best way to fix this? I have silicone sealant and LS-X (which I used for water pipe and it worked well). I also have the 'sealant tape' for shower tray (it is called 'No More Leak Sealant Tape'. Which method would be the best, or others you'd like to suggest?

Thanks,
Deisler

Leak Image.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Add some more sealant and keep an eye on it.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back